Railroad Forums 

• Branch lines in New York State

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1227260  by blabey

Penn Central's Catskill Mountain Branch was not included in the Final System Plan when the northeastern railroad system was restructured under the Regional Rail Revitalization and Regulatory Act of 1976 (4R Act). As a result, the branch between Kingston and Stamford lost common carrier status that year. Common carrier service ended in October, 1976.

Exclusion from the USRA's Final System Plan allowed the Penn Central estate to sell the property (since it was no longer in railroad service) to any buyer. That's how Ulster County, the City of Kingston and the foundation that funded the Delaware & Ulster Rail Ride came to own the physical assets. To my knowledge, the three tourist passenger operations on various parts of the old Ulster & Delaware have never applied for common carrier status.

One footnote: Delaware-Otsego Corp. which operated a three mile stretch of the original U&D at Oneonta did apply for and receive common carrier status in 1966. That was well prior to the Penn Central bankruptcy and the 4R Act. D-O later abandoned the Oneonta line - but went on to bigger and better things.
 #1227581  by SST

Would the BR&P south out of Buffalo fit this thread? I have no idea how much use the track gets. But, the other day, I drove over the line on Rt 219 and was surprised to see the rails very clean and shiny. Looks like a lot of use as compared to the last several years as showing a lot of corrsion during the entire year. An economic indicator?

The western end of the Peanut might exceed the perameters of this thread.
 #1227951  by Otto Vondrak

SST wrote:Would the BR&P south out of Buffalo fit this thread?
I would consider that to be a main line (though a lightly used one)... Though my understanding is that the BR&P south of Orchard Park was lifted a couple years ago. Maybe you mean the former PRR line used by Buffalo & Pittsburgh Railroad?

-otto-
 #1228021  by Matt Langworthy

SST wrote:Would the BR&P south out of Buffalo fit this thread? I have no idea how much use the track gets. But, the other day, I drove over the line on Rt 219 and was surprised to see the rails very clean and shiny. Looks like a lot of use as compared to the last several years as showing a lot of corrsion during the entire year. An economic indicator?
Since it has been cut back to Orchard Park, the former B&O 4th Sub should be considered a branch now, IMO. As I understand things, there are a couple of customers on the line and I've noticed polish on the rails myself, although I've never seen a B&P local there.
 #1228063  by RussNelson

There are no customers on the north half of the former Utica & Black River. That's from Lowville north to Carthage. MA&N has been trying to sell it to Lewis County for a song, but the county (DUH) didn't want to turn it into a rail-trail. Now, if we could only swap the Lewis County boards for the Ulster County board, both railroads would be happier for it.
 #1228079  by BR&P

Matt Langworthy wrote:Since it has been cut back to Orchard Park, the former B&O 3rd Sub should be considered a branch now, IMO. As I understand things, there are a couple of customers on the line and I've noticed polish on the rails myself, although I've never seen a B&P local there.
Fixed
 #1228188  by Otto Vondrak

BR&P wrote:
Matt Langworthy wrote:Since it has been cut back to Orchard Park, the former B&O 3rd Sub should be considered a branch now, IMO. As I understand things, there are a couple of customers on the line and I've noticed polish on the rails myself, although I've never seen a B&P local there.
Fixed
Thank you, BR&P, for clearing up that matter regarding the former BR&P! :-D

-otto-
 #1228228  by Matt Langworthy

BR&P wrote:
Fixed
Thank you. I had thought all of the BR&P had been the 4th Sub, but a little research shows the segment to Buffalo was indeed the 3rd Sub.

Another marginal branch that has languished for several years with little or now traffic is the former DL&W Utica Branch.
 #1228265  by BR&P

Matt Langworthy wrote: Thank you. I had thought all of the BR&P had been the 4th Sub, but a little research shows the segment to Buffalo was indeed the 3rd Sub.
Former BR&P from around Butler to a point between Riker and Dubois became the 1st Sub. From there to E. Salamanca was the Second. Buffalo side was the 3rd and the Rochester line was the 4th.
 #1228312  by tree68

Important to remember that unused does not equal abandoned.

Abandoning a line is a formal process and can get pretty involved, especially when it comes to sorting out who now owns what.

As has been mentioned, railroads usually want to get rid of lines they don't want. Taxes is the main reason, although liability probably pops in there, too.

A line may also be embargoed - but I think that's mostly just a step on the way to abandonment.

I have a friend who deals with this stuff. It can get very involved.