Railroad Forums 

• blue comet step

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1224473  by njmidland

Does it have any markings like CNJ or CRRNJ, or "Jersey Central". If it does then I thin you are looking at the $300 to $400 range. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to tie it to the Blue Comet so I am valuing it as just CNJ, which would still be rare. If it doesn't have any CNJ markings then figure $100 to $150.
 #1226719  by NJT4272

deadhead wrote:I have a step stool from the blue comet with orginal paint on it. Was thinking about donating it to a museum and was wondering what something like this would be valued at. Thanks for any help I can get on this.
deadhead,

Check your private messages here. I gave you a very thorough answer to the question you asked me. Its been a week or more and I've noticed that you have yet to read it.
 #1282327  by deadhead

NJT4272 wrote:
deadhead wrote:I have a step stool from the blue comet with orginal paint on it. Was thinking about donating it to a museum and was wondering what something like this would be valued at. Thanks for any help I can get on this.
deadhead,

Check your private messages here. I gave you a very thorough answer to the question you asked me. Its been a week or more and I've noticed that you have yet to read it.
Hello NJT4272, I've been away for some time and unable to read your PM about the step. But i'm back and would love to hear what you have to say. Please PM me again and Thank You for responding.

JT
 #1282508  by NJT4272

deadhead wrote: Hello NJT4272, I've been away for some time and unable to read your PM about the step. But i'm back and would love to hear what you have to say. Please PM me again and Thank You for responding.

JT
PM Sent

Enjoy!
 #1282517  by Hawaiitiki

This has been a very informative thread.
 #1282522  by deadhead

NJT4272 I would like to give you a Big thank you. I am unable to PM you and would love for you to see this step stool. Its painted in Blue Comet color and in Mint Cond. Its been stored for many many years indoors. the only way I can get you a picture is to e-mail you, if you would like to see it. Would you mind if I post your answer to me reguarding the step. I'm also going to contact the people that you spoke of. It would give me GREAT satifaction to reunite the step with the orginal Blue Comet coach after all these years. Again Thank You!!

Jerry
 #1282540  by deadhead

John_Perkowski wrote:Jerry,

As a new member, there's a certain number of posts you have to make before the private message function opens to you.
Yea, I kind of figured that. Thats why I wanted to let NJT4272 know about not being able to pm him. He took great care of my questions and wanted to thank him.
Hopefully I'm one post closer to being able to PM someone...Lol

Thanks
 #1282758  by NJT4272

deadhead wrote: Yea, I kind of figured that. Thats why I wanted to let NJT4272 know about not being able to pm him. He took great care of my questions and wanted to thank him.
Hopefully I'm one post closer to being able to PM someone...Lol

Thanks
Oh, you're quite welcome! Happy to exercise my historical knowledge from time to time.
 #1282830  by deadhead

Here is the wonderfull response I got from NJT4272. It's more than I thought I would ever get. :-D

The coach that you remember in Bay Head Yard, that sat on blocks, served as the yard office, and was eventually hauled away, was Blue Comet observation car TEMPEL. It was in the early 80's when the car was removed from the yard. It was given to either Tri-State Railway Historical Society or Jersey Central Railway Historical Society. For many years it was stored at the Morristown & Erie RR's Morristown, NJ yard. It was placed back on its trucks and that was pretty much all they ever did with the car.

Some time in the late 90's, Blue Comet TEMPEL was then either given to or entrusted to the City of South Plainfield, NJ. The town had the idea of building a small park along a stretch of Conrail's Lehigh Line that ran through town. They had a length of panel track installed and placed the car there. They did put a quick, cheap Blue Comet inspired paint job on it and after that, nothing else happened. The car was left unsecured and unfenced on the spot that South Plainfield never turned into the park they had planned. I personally sat in my truck, watching the car, on several Mischief Nights to make sure no kids set it on fire. On one occasion, I actually was able to alert police when I witnessed 4 kids break into the car late one night. The cops were able to apprehend the vandals.

Despite my efforts, the car was heavily vandalized while in South Plainfield. I couldn't watch it 24/7. All the windows were broken out of the car. Every inch of the interior was covered in graffiti. I think there might have even been a small trash fire set in the car once, luckily causing no major damage.

Fortunately, around 2004, the car was removed from South Plainfield and relocated to the Cape May Seashore Lines in south Jersey. It was originally stored on a fenced siding in Rio Grande, NJ. It sat there for several years before being moved to a more secure location on the CMSL in Tuckahoe, NJ, where it has sat for the past 3 years or so.

Some of the graffiti was cleaned up. The broken windows were replaced to keep the elements out. Its still wearing the Blue Comet inspired paint. The car is safe for now, but in the past few years, rust has really taken a toll on the car.

So if you'd like to reunite your step stool with its original car, its parked at the former Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines passenger station in Tuckahoe, NJ. I'd recommend emailing the Cape May Seashore Lines. Go to their website. All their contact information is listed there. Tony Macrie, who runs that operation, is a great guy and would give it a good home. If you do decide to contact him, tell him Jeff from the URHS sent you.

On a historical note, of the 3 observation cars in original Blue Comet service, all three still survive - TEMPEL in Tuckahoe, NJ. BIELA in Clinton, NJ, which is part of the Clinton Station Diner right along Route 78, and DeVICO in Boonton, NJ which I personally repainted back into its original Blue Comet colors and lettering in 2009 for the URHSofNJ's second open house. I think I did a decent job.

Hope this answered all your questions.
 #1283180  by kilroy

The JCRHS didn't have the Tempel so it must have been Tri State or the Whippany Railway Museum.
 #1285702  by deadhead

deadhead wrote:Here is the wonderfull response I got from NJT4272. It's more than I thought I would ever get. :-D

The coach that you remember in Bay Head Yard, that sat on blocks, served as the yard office, and was eventually hauled away, was Blue Comet observation car TEMPEL. It was in the early 80's when the car was removed from the yard. It was given to either Tri-State Railway Historical Society or Jersey Central Railway Historical Society. For many years it was stored at the Morristown & Erie RR's Morristown, NJ yard. It was placed back on its trucks and that was pretty much all they ever did with the car.

Some time in the late 90's, Blue Comet TEMPEL was then either given to or entrusted to the City of South Plainfield, NJ. The town had the idea of building a small park along a stretch of Conrail's Lehigh Line that ran through town. They had a length of panel track installed and placed the car there. They did put a quick, cheap Blue Comet inspired paint job on it and after that, nothing else happened. The car was left unsecured and unfenced on the spot that South Plainfield never turned into the park they had planned. I personally sat in my truck, watching the car, on several Mischief Nights to make sure no kids set it on fire. On one occasion, I actually was able to alert police when I witnessed 4 kids break into the car late one night. The cops were able to apprehend the vandals.

Despite my efforts, the car was heavily vandalized while in South Plainfield. I couldn't watch it 24/7. All the windows were broken out of the car. Every inch of the interior was covered in graffiti. I think there might have even been a small trash fire set in the car once, luckily causing no major damage.

Fortunately, around 2004, the car was removed from South Plainfield and relocated to the Cape May Seashore Lines in south Jersey. It was originally stored on a fenced siding in Rio Grande, NJ. It sat there for several years before being moved to a more secure location on the CMSL in Tuckahoe, NJ, where it has sat for the past 3 years or so.

Some of the graffiti was cleaned up. The broken windows were replaced to keep the elements out. Its still wearing the Blue Comet inspired paint. The car is safe for now, but in the past few years, rust has really taken a toll on the car.

So if you'd like to reunite your step stool with its original car, its parked at the former Pennsylvania Reading Seashore Lines passenger station in Tuckahoe, NJ. I'd recommend emailing the Cape May Seashore Lines. Go to their website. All their contact information is listed there. Tony Macrie, who runs that operation, is a great guy and would give it a good home. If you do decide to contact him, tell him Jeff from the URHS sent you.

On a historical note, of the 3 observation cars in original Blue Comet service, all three still survive - TEMPEL in Tuckahoe, NJ. BIELA in Clinton, NJ, which is part of the Clinton Station Diner right along Route 78, and DeVICO in Boonton, NJ which I personally repainted back into its original Blue Comet colors and lettering in 2009 for the URHSofNJ's second open house. I think I did a decent job.

Hope this answered all your questions.
Hello NJT4272, I took your advise and reached out to Cape May Seashore Lines. I e-mailed them 2x and received no response in 3 weeks. Just wanted to let you know that I tried to reunite this step with the Temple. Thank you again for providing me the answers to be able to complete the history behind this step.
 #1285751  by nomis

did you send your email to conductor@ or webmaster@ / It seems from prior communication, that the conductor@ address is well used and monitored by several people.
 #1286221  by deadhead

OK...I took your advise and e-mailed conductor@. We will see what happens. otherwise I tried everything and will just hang on to it. The good thing is, I now have a complete story behind this step. Thanks to Railroad.net and NJT4272. :-D