Railroad Forums 

• How thorough is the background?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1221877  by WhiskeyBravo270

Hello. I was fired from a job with the federal government while on probation. This was 4 years ago. I want to apply for a conductor position with the railroad. I see their background questionnaire ask for 5 years of history; I am tempted to leave this job off in hopes they will miss it. How likely is this?

I am equally tempted to include the job and roll the dice. I fear they will summarily reject my application since I'm sure they'll have tons of applicants for the vacancies. I'm in Iowa.

Also, will the hiring official frown upon an applicant with a college degree? They'll think I'm just looking for some place to work until I find something better. Also, I'm 34. Is this a problem. Just to give some context: I am currently in grad school studying applied mathematics but am not happy; I would like to drive trains someday and as you know you must start out as a conductor; I have a BA in mathematics, taught high school, worked as a mail man, worked in both state and federal government, and am a Iraq War Veteran; I have neither a wife nor kids and can relocate to anywhere in the world within 1.5 weeks. What should I do?
 #1222079  by jz441

Be honest! They will find out that you were fired, but you may have a chance to explain what happened. No, college is not a problem, nor is your age.

Good luck!