Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier - East of Binghamton

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1207955  by SecaucusJunction

Looks like NS officially took the Eastern Tier off their intermodal map on their website. I'm not sure why it was ever on their to begin with but it did give a little hope that they had kept it in mind for future reference. Oh well.
 #1208030  by charlie6017

Things could still change once the Panamax ships are able to gain entry into the Port
of Newark in a couple more years once the Bayonne bridge roadway is raised.

It's going to take a while, but things could get interesting down the road.

Charlie
 #1208046  by SecaucusJunction

I saw a 4 well/7 container 25V out of Port Elizabeth yesterday. Let's just say NS has some room to grow out of NJ before they would need a separate route. In some ways they are moving backwards.
 #1210982  by northjerseybuff

Autoblock- I was a debbie downer a few months ago. Is work still going on?? Any news on the trains?
Autoblock wrote:Knew it would only be a matter of time before a downer came along.... the info that no trains are coming are about as reliable as the one's regarding the one's that may just the odds are in your favor. Explain the siding work you dont need that for 6 trains per week...
 #1211146  by markyk

looks like 2 or 3 csx detours heading down starting Overnight Sunday into Monday through later Monday and Monday night

someone should time them from Bingo to Port Jervis
 #1211353  by Marty Feldner

That was a detoured CSX Q004-31; through Warwick about 1330 hrs. Supposed to be three eastbound detours over NYS&W (due to holiday weekend signal work between Syracuse and Albany); the other two ended up staying on CSX, for reasons unknown.
 #1211687  by Autoblock

[quote="northjerseybuff"]Autoblock- I was a debbie downer a few months ago. Is work still going on?? Any news on the trains?
Ah no worries....I let this stuff bother me too much sometimes!!! lol... I guess I was wrong with the work in Deposit I thought the siding was the one having the work done but I guess it was the main.... there were cars parked there for so long I just assumed it was the siding until I noticed a slow clear signal coming home one night on the opposite track...but to my knowledge that is the only new development is they are once again using the main there again. As far as any work goes I haven't seen anything as of recent maybe someone else can comment on that...and as far as the trains go I guess we'll know when they are coming when they are here...I get so sick of hearing the rumors from the RR that I just tune it out anymore and their not gonna let anyone know about it until the time has arrived...that seems to be how they roll.
 #1211691  by SecaucusJunction

Yes, with NS it seems like there are plenty of rumors with very little action. If it makes anyone feel better, the rumored increases on the western Tier never happened either. The recent reduction of trains on the Lehigh Line as well as the pitifully short TV trains that are run into NJ most of the day, coupled with the new CSX inland port project in upstate New York make the prospects of the line look worse and worse. Just about everything out of NJ makes drops or pick ups in Harrisburg... or ends there, so a line that skips the state of PA probably does not look desirable to NS. Anything is possible in the farther out future, but as of now, any rumors flying around about the line are probably not based on any truth.
 #1216165  by CPF363

It is too bad that CP Rail did not end up with full ownership of the Southern Tier Line during the Conrail split. Had CP been more aggressive in 1999 to end up with the entire line to include access to the Port of New York, Croxton Yard and their own route through Buffalo from CP owned lines in Ontario, the Southern Tier would be a much busier line than it is today. CP could have also tried to obtain the old NYC line across southern Michigan which would have integrated the Soo Line with CP's routes east of Windsor. One can just imagine the trains from Vancouver, Chicago and Toronto running over the line today....
 #1217631  by SecaucusJunction

You know, I used to dismiss this, but the more I think about it, I do kinda wish that CP had taken over the line too. I don't believe it would have been a main artery such as the River or Lehigh Lines but if somehow at least part of Croxton had been included, it might have been a winner. I mean, could it really be worse than what we've seen here over the past 14+ years? NS does not seem to have any interest in expanding operations in NJ and they know they still have plenty of room on the Lehigh if something ever comes up.
 #1222967  by chief

Bridge 107.7 in Lackawaxen is being rebuilt as we speak. All eastbound ties and walkway have been removed.
New beams are being installed between east & west support beams. When all steel work is done the west bound track will be moved to center of bridge. All concrete to be repointed.
Think what you want folks but this is not for 1 train a day.
Steve a k a Chief