Railroad Forums 

• Need info ASAP onPorterdale&Covington rail lines

• Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
Discussion related to railroad activities past and present in West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi, Kentucky, Tennesee, Alabama, Arkansas and Loiusiana. For discussion specific to Washington, D.C/DelMarVa, please click here.
 #1180635  by NNR

HI all, I am looking for some info I am working on something and need to know how many miles are left of the Porterdale line and where it begins and where it ends (wich i believe is the start of the Covington branch) and what kind of shape its in. Also how many miles is the covington Branch from the CSX interchange to the NS intechange. What town is the NS intechange in? and nearest street name or mile marker for the NS interchange? Is any part of the Covington branch still being used? Also what shape is the Covington Line in? Lastly are there any stations left on the covington Branch that are unocupied? Thanks in advance.
 #1193177  by MattW

Well, the old line, which was most recently operated by the Great Walton Railroad under lease from Norfolk Southern, ran from Porterdale, to Machen, GA. Machen is just south of Shady Dale, GA and not much more than a designation. It interchanged traffic with the CSX in Covington, and Norfolk Southern in Machen. Currently, the line from Porterdale to Newborn is out of service. Most of the track is still there from Covington eastward, and most of the right of way from Porterdale still exists. However, most if not all of the crossings in Covington have been paved over. However, I understand that the line from Machen to Newborn is still operated by yet another shortline operator. The NS line at Machen "ends" and continuing north to Madison, GA is operated by the Squaw Creek Southern, whom I assume also operates the line as far as Newborn from Machen. As for actual mileage, I don't know, but there's a road that crosses the interchange with NS/Squaw Creek called Railroad St., but I don't know if it's a Shady Dale, or Machen address, Google can't seem to find Machen, GA on its maps. As far as stations, I only know of the Mansfield station even existing and I'm not sure what's in there.