Railroad Forums 

• Which M3 caught fire @ Brentwood

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1137862  by geico

Looks like the structure of the M3 held up pretty well with only the fibreglass end melting away. Obviously there are other issues as far as wiring, etc....
Unless they have a spare front end laying around, the car is probably scrap. Anyone know if there is a even number car laying around without a mate?
 #1137866  by mjd13076

It was supposedly a work train heading back to KO. The only fatalities were the occupants. Apparently, the car went around the gates, the train pulled the emergency brake but too late... Dragged for nearly a half mile into the station from the Brentwood Rd. crossing.
 #1137900  by LIengineerBob

Does it really matter what kind of train it was?? People were killed (even if by their own carelessness), and most likely the crew will have nightmares of the incident for life......and you worry about what type of train car it is and it's number?? Lets hope it never happens to you where you are in the seat and you smash into a car at 80mph and it explodes into flames.

Only one poster so far has inquired about the crew. Everyone else is too busy updating their car rosters on what car number it was and lamenting the loss of another M3 railfan window.

It wasn't a work train. Work trains are used to perform some type of work, or the movement of materials for the company. It was an equipment deadhead move back to Ronkonkoma. How do you know the emergency brake was pulled?? It was most likely applied by the engineer as he bailed out of the cab to keep from being burned or scorched. Get your terminology and facts right.
 #1137904  by condr

LIengineerBob wrote:Does it really matter what kind of train it was?? People were killed (even if by their own carelessness), and most likely the crew will have nightmares of the incident for life......and you worry about what type of train car it is and it's number?? Lets hope it never happens to you where you are in the seat and you smash into a car at 80mph and it explodes into flames.

Only one poster so far has inquired about the crew. Everyone else is too busy updating their car rosters on what car number it was and lamenting the loss of another M3 railfan window.

It wasn't a work train. Work trains are used to perform some type of work, or the movement of materials for the company. It was an equipment deadhead move back to Ronkonkoma. How do you know the emergency brake was pulled?? It was most likely applied by the engineer as he bailed out of the cab to keep from being burned or scorched. Get your terminology and facts right.
Well said!!!!
 #1137919  by Head-end View

I'll echo Bob and Catgirl's sentiments. The engineer must have put the train into emergency; it doesn't happen by itself. That engineer obviously has not had a very good day. I hope he or she was not injured and will be able to return to service soon with minimal lasting effects from the incident. Too bad the news media don't even think to mention anything about the engineer. The only good thing about this incident is that it was an equipment train so there were no passengers on board.

On the 5 o'clock news MTA Police officials said witnesses including the engineer saw the car go around the lowered gates so that's that. We can only wonder what goes on these drivers' heads........
 #1137931  by Morisot

I must say, (although I often think the media coverage is very anti-LIRR) on CBS 2 NY, and ABC 7 NY on their noon broadcasts, both reported that the train carried no passengers and the three crew members had gotten off the train safely. They also reported at that time that the gates were apparently down...and that the train was allowed to go 80 miles an hour.
 #1137956  by Crabman1130

Geez. Some asked if the crew and passengers were alright. Someone else tried to answer that it wasn't a passenger carrying train and used the wrong term. No need to get you draws in a bunch.

Anyway the news covered it pretty well. They had a spokesperson from the railroad, and he said the car went around the gates. He also said the 3 crew members were unharmed, but the engineer was upset over the incident.
 #1137965  by 452 Card

To hell with the media. The engineers' pschye is now ruined for the rest of his life. You all have no idea...........
 #1137984  by Head-end View

452 Card, actually some of us do have an idea. I was once involved in a death in my profession (28 years ago) that wasn't my fault, but it still changed me forever.......... Don't be too quick to dismiss all of us railfans as a bunch of insensitive idiots.
 #1138022  by Crabman1130

Head-end View wrote:452 Card, actually some of us do have an idea. I was once involved in a death in my profession (28 years ago) that wasn't my fault, but it still changed me forever.......... Don't be too quick to dismiss all of us railfans as a bunch of insensitive idiots.
Well said.

I posted an accurate account of what was reported and said by a company spokesperson and get shit for it?

Bite me.