Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak E-Commerce (was e-ticketing) and Apps

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1079491  by David Benton

I dont understand the complaints . if you get a cheaper ticket by buying early , surely you would expect to pay more by changing the ticket at the last minute . perhaps amtrak has been abit to lenient in the past .
 #1079653  by Jersey_Mike

The indignity comes when you aren't trying to change to a different train, but trying to either discard a segment of the trip or choose to ride for a shorter portion of an existing segment. In both cases it is likely you will end up paying more to do less of the exact same itinerary. It's as if a store charged you more money to take an item back without refund and it is a trap that ordinary passengers will get caught in through not fault of their own.
 #1081012  by Gilbert B Norman

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Well, this trip is going to be my "imersion" into e-ticketing as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra in into it as well. In fact, just like Amtrak, their webpage defaults you to e-ticket. Not sure if DSO has a "smart phone" ticketing, but they do have some kind of "app". Well, for an outfit that I fear is not long for this world, at least they will be going out up to date with ticketing practices.

But something rare for public events nowadays - no "handling fee". Their confirmation showed up within five minutes of placing my order.
Obviously off-topic to Amtrak travel but on topic to e-ticketing, as noted the confirmation from the Detroit Symphony Orchestra showed up OK, but I've now learned that they have "issues" with their e-ticketing system. What I know not, as the lady with the DSO at the other end of my LAND LINE telephone (with a cord) was not saying. They will be sending me good old fashioned tickets by US Mail, which is just fine with this Luddite.

I fear the DSO is not long for this world; but it is a world class ensemble and I want to get out there to show my support.
 #1081035  by jbvb

I hhave encountered two minor glitches with e-tickets:

1. Postini's spam filter (commercial service used by some ISPs, now owned by Google) lets the reservation email through but blocks the ticket email (with printable PDF).

2. I used to add my Guest Rewards number at the QuikTrak machine when I printed the paper tickets. Now I have to go to an agent.
 #1081178  by TedBell

jbvb wrote:2. I used to add my Guest Rewards number at the QuikTrak machine when I printed the paper tickets. Now I have to go to an agent.
Amtrak's website prompts for your Guest Rewards Number on the Passenger Information screen. You can also create an account on amtrak.com and link your Guest Rewards Number so you won't have to remember it for future ticket purchases.
 #1085667  by Jeff Smith

atsf sp wrote:I just booked a trip on the Pennsylvanian online and I requested a pickup from the station aganet. I then went to check if the confirmation email arrived and instead of sending me a confirmation they sent me an e-ticket instead. I dont like how they immediately send you one when you request another. Has this happened to anyone else?
merging into e-ticketing thread

I just booked a trip from NYP to Philly and back (they're having a regional/Keystone sale), and selected the option for quik-trak. But I had to change something, and the option defaulted back. That's what may have happened to you.
 #1087623  by usroadman

Noticed this on SEPTA's website:
Amtrak Tickets | Only Amtrak paper tickets, presented for inspection, will be accepted as a fare to ride on Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and Market East Station. Customers are advised that SEPTA cannot accept an Amtrak ticket e-confirmation notice or electronic device (phone or computer) scan code as proof of purchase to complete this trip.
Since you can't get paper tickets anymore, I guess your Amtrak ticket won't get you to Suburban Station or Market East anymore (though to be honest I can't imagine a conductor trying to check tickets between 30th Street & Market East anyway).
 #1087658  by Patrick Boylan

usroadman, I will test your statement. I thought we could still get paper tickets the old fashioned way, from a QuiqTrak machine. I work at 19th and Race, am riding Amtrak Thu. Ahead of time I'll case Suburban Station, see if they have a machine there, otherwise pedal my bicycle to 30th St.

http://www.amtrak.com/quik-trak-ticketing-kiosk
If you've booked your reservation and paid for your tickets online at Amtrak.com, you can pick up and print out your tickets from a Quik-Trak kiosk.
If I find no ticket machines willing to dispense paper I'll do the unthinkable and ask a human resembling agent, or agent resembling human.
 #1087661  by ThirdRail7

usroadman wrote:Noticed this on SEPTA's website:
Amtrak Tickets | Only Amtrak paper tickets, presented for inspection, will be accepted as a fare to ride on Regional Rail trains between 30th Street Station and Market East Station. Customers are advised that SEPTA cannot accept an Amtrak ticket e-confirmation notice or electronic device (phone or computer) scan code as proof of purchase to complete this trip.
Since you can't get paper tickets anymore, I guess your Amtrak ticket won't get you to Suburban Station or Market East anymore (though to be honest I can't imagine a conductor trying to check tickets between 30th Street & Market East anyway).
Patrick Boylan wrote:usroadman, I will test your statement. I thought we could still get paper tickets the old fashioned way, from a QuiqTrak machine. I work at 19th and Race, am riding Amtrak Thu. Ahead of time I'll case Suburban Station, see if they have a machine there, otherwise pedal my bicycle to 30th St.

http://www.amtrak.com/quik-trak-ticketing-kiosk
If you've booked your reservation and paid for your tickets online at Amtrak.com, you can pick up and print out your tickets from a Quik-Trak kiosk.
If I find no ticket machines willing to dispense paper I'll do the unthinkable and ask a human resembling agent, or agent resembling human.

Userman, Mr Patrick Boylan has the right idea.

A brief "unfair" use quote:
The passenger must show the SEPTA conductor written proof of having a ticket that includes travel to or from Philadelphia on Amtrak on the same day the passenger is riding the SEPTA Regional Rail train: an unused Amtrak paper value ticket showing Philadelphia as the origin, the receipt (stub) from an Amtrak paper value ticket showing Philadelphia as the destination, or a printout of an eTicket travel document printed at home or obtained from an Amtrak ticket agent or Quik-Trak kiosk showing Philadelphia as the origin or destination. SEPTA does not accept smartphone displays.
 #1087667  by Jersey_Mike

Yes, because a smart phone display is less secure than something I printed out myself, from home. Image

Either way the best way to be prepared to ride the CC tunnel SEPTA trains is to have an unreserved Harrisburg Line stub or e-ticket handy.
 #1088055  by ExCon90

If a northbound SEPTA train originates at 30th St. (Powelton Ave. coach yard), passengers leaving the train at Suburban Station or Market East are often asked to show a ticket upon debarking. Similarly, on southbound trains terminating at 30th St., passengers boarding at Market East or Suburban can expect to be asked to show a ticket on the platform when boarding. The same is true in reverse for northbound trains terminating at Temple U (Roberts Ave. yard) and southbound trains originating there. In other words, if you get off an Amtrak train at 30th St. and board a SEPTA train that terminates at Temple, expect to have to show a ticket when you get on; if the train originates at 30th St., expect to be asked for it when you get off. However, the majority of trains operate through Center City en route from suburb to suburb, and passengers are rarely asked for tickets until after the train has left Center City. While every effort is made to provide accurate information in this post, procedures cannot be guaranteed and are subject to change without notice. Jersey Mike's suggestion above is prudent.
 #1088371  by Jersey_Mike

BTW I would like to confirm that issues of reservations being summarily cancelled if preceding legs were not ticketed prior to departure existed before e-Ticketing was introduced. Had a friend who had a round trip on the same res several days apart. He got a ride covering the outbound leg and didn't pick up the ticket and later found his return reservation, several days later, had been cancelled.
Last edited by Jersey_Mike on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1088376  by Gilbert B Norman

Related thoughts to the Phila Center City transfer, this is a continuation of a PRR tradition dating to at least the closing of Broad Street during 1952 and possibly even as far as the opening of 30th St during the 1930's.

Now what I don't know is what did a passenger have during PRR days when local tickets were card stock that were lifted by a Conductor and with no passenger receipt being retained for an Usher to inspect and a Conductor to lift 30th St to Subn (BSB - Broad Street Building - in PRoadese). Any of my pre-Amtrak rodes were to and from 30th St.

Oh, and regarding Amtrak e-ticketing experiences, that will have to wait for another day (possibly Feb: CHI-ARB-CHI) as I had to cancel my planned CHI-ARB-DET-CHI journey last week. Amtrak refunded everything including Business Class seat charge (have a report from American Express they did so).
 #1088515  by ThirdRail7

Jersey_Mike wrote:BTW I would like to confirm that issues of reservations being summarily cancelled if preceding legs were not ticketed prior to departure existed before e-Ticketing was introduced. Had a friend who had a round trip on the same res several days apart. He got a ride covering the outbound leg and didn't pick up the ticket and later found his return reservation, several days later, had been cancelled.
Did your friend already have the tickets? If not, that explains it. What's troubling is if you already HAVE the tickets, and you skip a leg, the reservation cancels.

However, it goes back to what I said before JerseyMike. Communication is key. Did your friend pick up the phone and communicate his intentions?