Railroad Forums 

• What if...[The Erie-Lackawanna Survived]?

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#939859  by HBLR

There are a lot of good pages online about EL and its connections to the west via passenger train.
Last edited by HBLR on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #939860  by Roadgeek Adam

In full honesty, as I said before, the Erie-Lackawanna could've survived as a freight only railroad. I get the feeling NJDOT was going to become perma-commuter, and eventually NJ Transit. It seemed pretty inevitable. But again, it's history now.
 #939951  by airman00

Why did the state (NJDOT) not like E-L using u34ch loco's for freight service on weekends? Was it so they don't burn out the passenger engine fleet? What else could they have used? (or what did the state want?) A switcher? They had a few of those. Or a geep?
 #939977  by HBLR

I'd like to see any copies or photos of documentation relating to that. Only thing i can think of is liability and wear/tear.

Is there right of way from hoboken to scranton, and would it connect with the line to buffalo anymore?? If so you could have in the not so near future (30 years) service on such a line, would bring many towns the first passenger trains since the 50's/60's.
 #939988  by Kaback9

airman00 wrote:Why did the state (NJDOT) not like E-L using u34ch loco's for freight service on weekends? Was it so they don't burn out the passenger engine fleet? What else could they have used? (or what did the state want?) A switcher? They had a few of those. Or a geep?
Simple, would you like engines you bought for passenger service getting stuck in Binghamton or Chicago on a Monday when it should be working commuter trains?
 #940115  by airman00

Kaback9 wrote:
airman00 wrote:Why did the state (NJDOT) not like E-L using u34ch loco's for freight service on weekends? Was it so they don't burn out the passenger engine fleet? What else could they have used? (or what did the state want?) A switcher? They had a few of those. Or a geep?
Simple, would you like engines you bought for passenger service getting stuck in Binghamton or Chicago on a Monday when it should be working commuter trains?
I agree with that, but was the E-L power starved or did they not have enough work engines?
 #940198  by HBLR

How old was their motive fleet at that time?
 #942217  by breeman

Someone in the NJDOT knew that the U34's were being used in freight service. Hours and miles were tracked and reported as far as I know. The Erie often used local power [RS3's and Geeps] in freight service on weekends. They collected them on Friday night from the outlaying passenger terminals and returned them Sunday night. I can recall being called out on one Sunday night to WC tower to "yard" U34's being returned for Monday morning service. Generally the U34's and the local power came off at Port Jervis, with normal road power being the replacement power. Some of the U34's did operate west of PO however. As I recall the U34's always operated in back to back pairs, they may have operated with four units [two pairs].
 #947529  by gearhead

Does not the death of the Rock Island have to do something with the death of the Erie? In that UP/BN/SF/CNW moved there overhead traffic to other railroads? The lack of a freindly connection to other railroads?
 #947637  by tjdean

gearhead wrote:Does not the death of the Rock Island have to do something with the death of the Erie? In that UP/BN/SF/CNW moved there overhead traffic to other railroads? The lack of a freindly connection to other railroads?
The Rock Island was around for 4 years after the EL ceased to exist. RI was shut down in March, 1980.
 #948965  by Matt Langworthy

tjdean wrote:
gearhead wrote:Does not the death of the Rock Island have to do something with the death of the Erie? In that UP/BN/SF/CNW moved there overhead traffic to other railroads? The lack of a freindly connection to other railroads?
The Rock Island was around for 4 years after the EL ceased to exist. RI was shut down in March, 1980.
Agreed. EL's biggest interchange partner at Chicago as ATSF... from the merger in 1960 to the last day of operations in 1976. The Rock Island had very little to do with the relationship between EL and ATSF.
 #1009581  by TDowling

Don't forget that MTA was kicking in funds to help EL survive on the southern tier west of Suffern since the 1970's, so technically EL was dead by then (at least for that portion of NY State.
 #1080467  by DL&W Pete

lets go back a little further than 1960, what if the nickel plate DID merge into the lackawanna. the lackawanna would now have it's own track to chicago, and if the 1955 flood never did happen. The lackawanna was the most financially secured railroad on the east coast. They could of started to merge other railroads into the lackawanna, no EL, no PC, no CR, no CSX, no NS. We would see grey, yellow & maroon running the tracks.