Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am Woodland Spur

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1060159  by carchecker

I realize the Woodland Spur is not Pan Am anymore but does anyone know if they are loading GMRC hicube double door boxes at the mill in Woodland? Also, if so is it product from the new tissue paper machine they were installing?
 #1060294  by roberttosh

The Boxcar loads that were moving out of there were export Pulp loads going to NJ. Don't know if they are still using rail or if they are back to 100% going through Eastport. Highly doubtful they would move tissue by rail as the economics aren't due to the lightness of the product.
 #1060501  by RRBUFF

A local paper has said the the Woodland Pulp LLC has looked into producing tissue and going to file for permits. I have not seen any activity in putting in any equipment yet. I have not seen any box cars in the yard recently. They were shipping out pulp by rail a few months ago. Most pulp is going to Eastport for export.
 #1060534  by gokeefe

I'm still amazed at the thought of tissue manufacturing being profitable in domestic production again....a few years ago I was on a training exercise at the old Statler Tissue mill in Augusta with the Fire Department. The place was a mess and you certainly didn't get the impression that tissue production in the US had any future whatsoever.
 #1062855  by RRBUFF

There are about a dozen woodchip cars in the yard today. They also bring in logs .
 #1066424  by RRBUFF

I don't think they have a fixed schedule. It seems to be 3 times a week depending on the needs of the mill and the number of woodchip cars and log cars that are ready to return to NBSR.
 #1072569  by carchecker

I was in Calais this morning and took a scoot out to Woodland to see what was happening. That mill is one busy place. Although I could not find the MoW equipment there seems to be a major tie replacement program going on. Lots of piles of new pressure treated ties from the Irvings and i was able to see numerous places from the Milltown bridge towards Woodland where ties have already been replaced. They were also still using a very crude unloading method to get the chips out of the rail cars. I took some pictures but can't figure out how to post them here...can someone help?
 #1072636  by CN9634

carchecker,

I recommend creating a flickr account to upload all you photos and link it back here.
 #1072665  by RRBUFF

There is a 3 track yard at the Calais Industrial Park where St. Croix Junction runs off the old Main line to Bangor. They have been storing the MOW there.