Railroad Forums 

• Narrow band change over

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1039968  by kitn1mcc

how about a list on who has changed over to narrow
 #1040351  by kitn1mcc

we all know the due by date. but who has changed over. some of us have to drag out the lap top to reprogram
 #1040949  by EMTRailfan

kitn1mcc wrote:we all know the due by date. but who has changed over. some of us have to drag out the lap top to reprogram
Only way I can tell you to know who has changed over is to go to each desired FCC license and check your desired freqs. on the web. I'm at work, and don't have access to the link at this time, but will update if you need it. Will be found under the 'Emission Designator'. If it starts with an 11xxxx (xxxx=combo of letters and numerals), their license has been upgraded for narrowband, not necessarily their system yet but most likely. If there are strictly 20xxxx's listed, then this license hasn't been converted yet, and is still only wideband.
 #1041006  by EMTRailfan

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_R ... _select=on

I made it home. The easiest way for me to do an "ad-hoc" search is to select your desired state from the drop down, which in turn will open the counties drop down for that state. Enter your desired freq. range for that area or just enter one specific freq. in the begin field to just search for one freq. in your desired county, then click submit. Now it gets difficult to find. You will need to find the actual radio base location (and specific freq if you searched a range) that you are looking for. Click on the call sign, which will open the license info. Click on the frequencies tab, and then click on the actual frequency to find the emissions info I mentioned in the previous post. Just to note, it appears that Norfolk Southern, at least in the western PA area 160.800 has at least modified their FCC license for narrowband. As I said before, I don't see a way to know if they have actually reprogrammed or replaced their radios yet.
 #1057533  by justalurker66

EMTRailfan wrote:Only way I can tell you to know who has changed over is to go to each desired FCC license and check your desired freqs. on the web. [...] Will be found under the 'Emission Designator'. If it starts with an 11xxxx (xxxx=combo of letters and numerals), their license has been upgraded for narrowband, not necessarily their system yet but most likely. If there are strictly 20xxxx's listed, then this license hasn't been converted yet, and is still only wideband.
My favorite system (NICTD South Shore) had their narrowband license modifications granted earlier this year. 11K0F3E was added to 16K0F3E, along with a lot of other designators. They are now licensed for analog and digital with 11Kxxxx designators --- plus 4K00xxx designators for the future. (Of course, being licensed for those emissions does not mean they are using all of them.)

There is a designator 4K00F3E in the list ... 4kHz analog? I keep seeing that 6.25 KHz spacing will be digital only but this is from an FCC granted license.

I am hoping that they stay analog until I can afford a digital radio. The good news is that the freight service's narrowband application is analog only, so it seems that there will be something analog to hear for a while.
 #1059263  by Ken W2KB

justalurker66 wrote:
EMTRailfan wrote:Only way I can tell you to know who has changed over is to go to each desired FCC license and check your desired freqs. on the web. [...] Will be found under the 'Emission Designator'. If it starts with an 11xxxx (xxxx=combo of letters and numerals), their license has been upgraded for narrowband, not necessarily their system yet but most likely. If there are strictly 20xxxx's listed, then this license hasn't been converted yet, and is still only wideband.
My favorite system (NICTD South Shore) had their narrowband license modifications granted earlier this year. 11K0F3E was added to 16K0F3E, along with a lot of other designators. They are now licensed for analog and digital with 11Kxxxx designators --- plus 4K00xxx designators for the future. (Of course, being licensed for those emissions does not mean they are using all of them.)

There is a designator 4K00F3E in the list ... 4kHz analog? I keep seeing that 6.25 KHz spacing will be digital only but this is from an FCC granted license.

I am hoping that they stay analog until I can afford a digital radio. The good news is that the freight service's narrowband application is analog only, so it seems that there will be something analog to hear for a while.
Not certain, but I believe that the 4K00F3E designator allows for analog signaling such as paging or selective, the primary voice would be digital. Analog signaling can fit the narrow channel.
 #1059320  by kitn1mcc

also they have not said what digital format is the default they were gonna go NXDN but that limits what brands you can use