Railroad Forums 

• Norfolk Southern Heritage Units.

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1040986  by scottychaos

terminalfanatic wrote:That's so weird I had never seen NS's original paint scheme till now.
It's not NS's original paintscheme..not in the way you are thinking.
it is the paint scheme of Norfolk Southern..but it was never a paint scheme of Norfolk Southern! ;)

The latest heritage locomotive is the paint scheme of "The original Norfolk Southern"..it is not "Norfolk Southern's original paint scheme"

There have been two completely different railroads with the same name..
the BIG Norfolk Southern of today never used that paintscheme, their paintscheme has *always* been the black scheme we know today,
with only minor variations..

the "Original Norfolk Southern" was a very small railroad, that had some Baldwin road switchers and a few GP18's in the diesel era,
It was absorbed into the Southern in 1974.
If it didn't have the same name as the modern NS, it probably wouldn't even rate a heritage locomotive at all..

Today's NS didn't exist until 1982, and always had the black "horsehead" paintscheme from the start.

Scot
 #1041039  by MEC407

Mr.S wrote:Anyone have a current list and or photo of the loco's that are out?
See page 13 of this thread.
 #1041040  by scottychaos

Mr.S wrote:Anyone have a current list and or photo of the loco's that are out?
hmmm..if only there was a forum thread somewhere, all about the NS heritage units,
that would maybe have a list of all the units, posted very recently, which could be easily found by,
oh I dont know, *looking* for it? ;)

as for photos, here is the best current place to find all the "official" NS photos all together in one place.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=56989

Scot
 #1041054  by waldwickrailfan

NJ is still heritage-less. PRR unit was supposed to be on 64D to Camden,NJ but got swapped out in Reading to MOW work.
I'm starting to think NS is making NJ a "heritage-less" state :(
 #1041150  by wurlitzer153

Guilford Guy9887 wrote:Why is the original NS numbered 8114? Seems like its a little out of order.
From what I understand, the late addition of PC made NS swap the maker of the original NS engine. The in-between numbers were already filled with horseheads, so they had to put it on the back end of the order.
 #1041487  by scottychaos

waldwickrailfan wrote:NJ is still heritage-less. PRR unit was supposed to be on 64D to Camden,NJ but got swapped out in Reading to MOW work.
If it was 2 years from now, and there was *still* no heritage unit ever in NJ, then your complaint would be legit..
but considering the PRR unit is eleven days old!..not so much.. Image

I have assumed the heritage units have barely started to spread out yet.
I would imagine at least half the states NS serves (20 states by my quick count) have yet to see a heritage unit..
I know for certain one has not yet set foot in New York state..

Taking a look at photos on RP.net, here is my survey:

NS 8098 - Conrail - PA-OH-WV-VA-IN-KY (amount of travel in 6 weeks, since the unit was new.)

NS 8099 - Southern - TN-VA (in 5 weeks)

NS 8100 - Nickel Plate - PA-OH (in 4 weeks)

NS 8101 - Central of Georgia - TN-VA (in 3 weeks)

NS 8103 - N&W - PA-OH-VA-WV (in 3 weeks)

NS 8102 - PRR - PA-OH (in 11 days)

NS 8105 - Interstate - TN-VA (in 10 days)

NS 8104 - Lehigh Valley - PA-OH (in 6 days)

NS 8114 - "Original NS" - TN (in 3 days)

So that's a total of only 7 states covered so far!
NS serves 20 states..
but lets be fair, these units are brand new! ;) that's the reason they haven't traveled far yet.
The Conrail unit is the most well-traveled so far, but its also the oldest..its been out for 6 weeks.
the youngest ones are only days old..they will get around soon enough! :)
im not worried about it..it will just take time.

Scot
Last edited by scottychaos on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1041497  by waldwickrailfan

True Scottychaos, sorry but i'm just mad the heritage units have been in coal service more than anything else. Hopefully they make it on one of those Croxton-Binghamton trains when they start, that way both of us could see it :)
 #1041500  by scottychaos

Oh yeah! as soon as any hit the Southern Tier of NY im there! :)
Im hoping the LV unit will make appearances in Sayre, PA, and the future Erie and DL&W units will also spend time between Binghamton & Buffalo on "home" rails..

We have all been wondering if the units might tend to migrate to their respective "home territories"..
so far, there does not seem to be any such pattern developing..
but, few have even had time to travel far from the place of their birth..that's just simply a factor of their young age.

The Conrail unit, being the oldest, I might have expected to see in more Conrail territory by now..
(but it has been on PRR/Conrail lines, so that counts as Conrail trackage obviously..im biased to upstate NY! ;) where it hasnt been yet)
but..they dont even have all the units completed yet! :)
its still too early, IMO, to expect any kind of organized "assigning" of the units, when more than half of them still don't even exist..
We need to wait until they are all done, then see what happens..
I doubt NS would go to all this trouble and then *not* make an effort to assign the units to "home rails", at least for awhile!
im still confidant we will see that happen, eventually..its simply too soon yet..we must all be patient.

Scot
 #1041962  by JoeBas

waldwickrailfan wrote:NJ is still heritage-less. PRR unit was supposed to be on 64D to Camden,NJ but got swapped out in Reading to MOW work.
PRR unit got re-attached to 64D and is currently working down the VINS in South Jersey...

... so I guess this officially falls under the heading of "Quitcher!" ;)