Railroad Forums 

• Scanner advice (for listening)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1028663  by steveh

Hi, looking for advice on buying a scanner. My dad used to have the kind (Regency I think?) you actually inserted the "crystals" into for each frequency... but I really have no idea
what's out there these days that fans use to listen to the railroads, etc. Best brand, anything to avoid, average price?
Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Stephen
 #1028671  by etna9726b

Uniden Sportcat SC150. Long life rechargeable battery w/AC adapter. Comes preprogrammed with ranges for air, train, etc. Plus 100 (10 x 10) memory banks to create your own lists. Rubber antenna. Headphone jack. Squelch. Had mine for 10 years now. Current model numbers may differ, but it's a good line of handheld scanners.
 #1028716  by Railroad Gator

Check out Scanner Master in Holliston Mass at Scannermaster.com Just bought a Gre PSR310. Fantastic unit and it easy to program and to use.The people at Scannermaster are the best to work with. Check the web site and I think you will be surprised as to what they offer
 #1029010  by Otto Vondrak

There's a whole forum on this site dedicated to Scanners and Radio, check it out.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=43

-otto-
 #1030779  by CPF363

It is recommended that you consider a narrowband capable scanner. The Uniden BC125AT is a new scanner now on the market from Scanner Master. It is field programmable and will work in the 160MHz bands and will do UHF also.