• NYSW to own CEFX leasors

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by kingfish

Sid Farkus wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:And dutch, yea it makes sense to rebuild the horn that was on the units, but if they aren't want NYSW wants then i guess they could be getting new horns. NYSW has K5's on almost all there rebuilt dash 2's and the 45's. In that one pic it looks like a 3 chime on the long hood. Its a wait and see what happens kind of thing right now.
If they were to put new horns on them I think it would be a toss up between the K5 or P5 (maybe mixed like the SD40s). Several months ago they put a new P5 on one of the tunnel motors.
All units will receive 5 chime horns mounted mid hood area. I have to review the specs on make and model.

On the paint matter five will be yellow and black. The sixth unit may be marron and creme per Scot's renedering. Time will tell.
  by ns3010

kingfish wrote:
Sid Farkus wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:And dutch, yea it makes sense to rebuild the horn that was on the units, but if they aren't want NYSW wants then i guess they could be getting new horns. NYSW has K5's on almost all there rebuilt dash 2's and the 45's. In that one pic it looks like a 3 chime on the long hood. Its a wait and see what happens kind of thing right now.
If they were to put new horns on them I think it would be a toss up between the K5 or P5 (maybe mixed like the SD40s). Several months ago they put a new P5 on one of the tunnel motors.
All units will receive 5 chime horns mounted mid hood area. I have to review the specs on make and model.

On the paint matter five will be yellow and black. The sixth unit may be marron and creme per Scot's renedering. Time will tell.

Wow, that's totally awesome! Thanks so much for proposing the idea to management! I'm glad to hear that they are considering it!

Also thank you so much for the wealth of information you have shared with us. I, and the rest of the railfan community, are extremely grateful to have someone who is willing to share their inside information. We realize that you are under absolutely no obligation to do that, and we definitely owe you a huge amount of thanks for your putting up with us!

Thanks again, Kingfish! You're the man!
  by Steve F45

kingfish wrote:
Sid Farkus wrote:

K5LLA, same ones that come on the new ace's and m-2's!!!!!!!!
  by sportsguy

For all us railfans, will the SD60s be taking the place filled by the current CEFX leasors?
  by blockline4180

ns3010 wrote:
kingfish wrote:
Sid Farkus wrote:

Wow, that's totally awesome! Thanks so much for proposing the idea to management! I'm glad to hear that they are considering it!

Also thank you so much for the wealth of information you have shared with us. I, and the rest of the railfan community, are extremely grateful to have someone who is willing to share their inside information. We realize that you are under absolutely no obligation to do that, and we definitely owe you a huge amount of thanks for your putting up with us!

Thanks again, Kingfish! You're the man!

Yes, thanks again!! Glad to hear they are considering it!!! :-)
  by cjvrr

Kingfish,

Thanks for all the information you post here!
  by sportsguy

kingfish wrote:Yes.
Thanks Kingfish. Looks like the SD60s will be the primary units used on the road trains(SU100 and SU99)
  by TheTrainHunters

So is it guaranteed that there will be a heritage unit?
  by Steve F45

sportsguy wrote:
Thanks Kingfish. Looks like the SD60s will be the primary units used on the road trains(SU100 and SU99)
And the four tunnel motors, the 2 sd40-2's and who knows with the 45's and 70's.
  by sportsguy

Well if they replace the CEFX units then the SD40s and the tunnel motors will continue to work locals.
  by waldwickrailfan

Steve F45 wrote:
sportsguy wrote:
And the four tunnel motors, the 2 sd40-2's and who knows with the 45's and 70's.
I would guess that 45's will re-enter service later this year and maybe the 4052. This is just a prediction
  by Steve F45

I recently saw a pic of 3618 no longer on the dead line. I believe it was coupled to 3016 and under that overpass next to the shops building, not in the dead line. So maybe its coming back online.
  by charlie6017

TheTrainHunters wrote:So is it guaranteed that there will be a heritage unit?
Welcome to the boards!

Basically, as Kingfish mentioned...........time will tell, so we'll wait and see ;-)

Charlie
  by Sid Farkus

Did anyone confirm that these SD60s are being purchased by the NYSW or will they be under a long-term lease? I went back on all the pages on this, and saw there was speculation that these units may be leased rather than purchased; or did I miss something?