• NYSW to own CEFX leasors

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by sportsguy

I'm so happy right now!
  by Steve F45

King, awesome pics. Glad to see them all getting worked on at the same time. Scotty, could you email him and find out what paint scheme they're getting? lol

And dutch, yea it makes sense to rebuild the horn that was on the units, but if they aren't want NYSW wants then i guess they could be getting new horns. NYSW has K5's on almost all there rebuilt dash 2's and the 45's. In that one pic it looks like a 3 chime on the long hood. Its a wait and see what happens kind of thing right now.
  by DutchRailnut

between the 6 units thats over $10K saved , so some railbuff can't have a woodie ;-)
  by Ðauntless

DutchRailnut wrote:
sportsguy wrote:Well does anyone know what shops these units are being rebuilt in? I want to see if any of the shops currently have any SD60s in them. And another thing, will they change the horns on these units?
Hmm a new horn is over $2500 vs rebuilding the existing horn is about $200, so I let you guess
Uhhh...no. Not even close.
  by Sid Farkus

Steve F45 wrote:And dutch, yea it makes sense to rebuild the horn that was on the units, but if they aren't want NYSW wants then i guess they could be getting new horns. NYSW has K5's on almost all there rebuilt dash 2's and the 45's. In that one pic it looks like a 3 chime on the long hood. Its a wait and see what happens kind of thing right now.
If they were to put new horns on them I think it would be a toss up between the K5 or P5 (maybe mixed like the SD40s). Several months ago they put a new P5 on one of the tunnel motors.
  by DutchRailnut

Ðauntless wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:
sportsguy wrote:Well does anyone know what shops these units are being rebuilt in? I want to see if any of the shops currently have any SD60s in them. And another thing, will they change the horns on these units?
Hmm a new horn is over $2500 vs rebuilding the existing horn is about $200, so I let you guess
second hand is around $1500 (new ones available)
http://www.hornblasters.com/products/de ... train-horn

To a railroad there is tendency to standardize, but if you run leasers or foreign units, whats the use of standardizing??
parts ? no way horns only get rebuild every 10 years if your lucky.
  by ns3010

Steve F45 wrote:Scotty, could you email him and find out what paint scheme they're getting? lol
I just happened to notice that just hours before King's post about the GMTX units being renumbered, Scot reposted his drawings of the SD60's in both the cream & maroon and the black & yellow schemes. I doubt that it's a coincidence... :-)

Scot, do you have any inside info on this that you can share? Of course, if you're sworn to secrecy, then we'd all prefer you didn't, for the sake of both you and your source...
DutchRailnut wrote:so some railbuff can't have a woodie
  by blockline4180

ns3010 wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:Scotty, could you email him and find out what paint scheme they're getting? lol
I just happened to notice that just hours before King's post about the GMTX units being renumbered, Scot reposted his drawings of the SD60's in both the cream & maroon and the black & yellow schemes. I doubt that it's a coincidence... :-)

Scot, do you have any inside info on this that you can share? Of course, if you're sworn to secrecy, then we'd all prefer you didn't, for the sake of both you and your source...

Well, with everyone drooling over the fact that NS is doing a heritage paint program, I'm sure it is entirely possible that NYSW is thinking of making a creme and maroon scheme SusieQ unit on one of the SD60's....I have no inside information, so this is just my opinion!

Time will tell!!!
  by ns3010

blockline4180 wrote:Well, with everyone drooling over the fact that NS is doing a heritage paint program, I'm sure it is entirely possible that NYSW is thinking of making a creme and maroon scheme SusieQ unit on one of the SD60's....I have no inside information, so this is just my opinion!

Time will tell!!!
Well, this post is also very interesting...
kingfish wrote:
scottychaos wrote:click for full-size image:

Scot
Scot,
send me an email to the co. address as I want to share something with you.

Thanks,
Kingfish
Isn't speculation fun?! :-)
  by sportsguy

ns3010 wrote:Isn't speculation fun?! :-)
Hell yeah!!!
  by Steve F45

looks like i'll be picking up another athearn sd60 then LOL
  by sportsguy

Steve F45 wrote:looks like i'll be picking up another athearn sd60 then LOL
We won't know until they get painted.
  by ns3010

sportsguy wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:looks like i'll be picking up another athearn sd60 then LOL
We won't know until they get painted.
Fantasy schemes are always fun, too, you know! :-)
  by waldwickrailfan

ns3010 wrote:I just happened to notice that just hours before King's post about the GMTX units being renumbered, Scot reposted his drawings of the SD60's in both the cream & maroon and the black & yellow schemes. I doubt that it's a coincidence... :-)
I hope this isn't a coincidence..
  by Ðauntless

DutchRailnut wrote:
Ðauntless wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:
second hand is around $1500 (new ones available)
http://www.hornblasters.com/products/de ... train-horn

To a railroad there is tendency to standardize, but if you run leasers or foreign units, whats the use of standardizing??
parts ? no way horns only get rebuild every 10 years if your lucky.
You can buy them brand new from Microprecision (Airchime Mfg.) for less then 1k, and even lower from an equipment dealer, not a bunch of morons running a company designed to sell them to scare people. A brand new 5 chime is around 800, about half that for a 3. A used one from a dealer is even lower. Not much to go wrong on them, just a good cleaning every so often will take care of it.