Railroad Forums 

Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

#1021820  by Ken V

VIA train 92 from Niagara Falls to Toronto derailed shortly after departing Aldershot station. The locomotive and lead passenger car were flipped on their sides. According to a VIA spokesperson, both engineers and one other VIA employee were killed in the incident. No other fatalities have been reported at this time.
 #1021904  by warwgn3

Steve F45 wrote:Engine appears to be an F40 from a pic that was on yahoo news.
It was Engine 6444.

Media says "all 6 cars derailed", yet I only see 5.
 #1021905  by parailfan312

warwgn3 wrote:
It was Engine 6444.

Media says "all 6 cars derailed", yet I only see 5.
VIA Rail official press release on their site says five cars and the locomotive, and that all involved are derailed.

My prayers with the victims and my condolences for the families of the employees!

Tim
 #1021931  by 25Hz

I've actually seen where this happened when i was up there a few weeks ago, inconceivable.... I wonder what happened..

Of course my thoughts go out to the family, friends and co-workers of the folks involved. Quite shocking and tragic. :(
 #1021935  by Silverliner II

I've ridden the Oakville Sub often in my many visits in the last 8 years, on Amtrak, VIA, and GO... that area is almost a second home for me. My thoughts and condolences are with the families of the crew that did not survive....
 #1021947  by 25Hz

It looks like the spot was located after a grade crossing. There are switch points in the vicinity as well.
 #1021952  by Silverliner II

25Hz wrote:It looks like the spot was located after a grade crossing. There are switch points in the vicinity as well.
That's the King Road grade crossing. I had planned to do some video there back in July, but the weather scuttled my idea....
 #1021993  by 25Hz

The maple leaf isn't traveling from aldershot that early in the day. They get into aldershot around 7 pm. The derailment happened sometime after 3 pm.

I thought the same thing because i first head of it when my canadian friend was watching the news at her place while i was on phone with her around 7:45 pm.
 #1022024  by Tadman

Fire up the google, it appears this was #6444 and 4-5 LRC coaches. Unfortunately we lost all three people in the cab. Sixty people had to be extracted out of a total of 75 passengers. This was a serious accident by all measures, the loco is on its side and the coaches are all over the place. see pic links:

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/ ... 40cl-8.jpg

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/files/2012/02/train-.jpg