Railroad Forums 

• Saw Something Odd Regarding an Intermodal Train...

• For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.
For topics on Class I and II passenger and freight operations more general in nature and not specifically related to a specific railroad with its own forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#1019483  by NellsChoo

Hello all, not sure exactly where to post this.

While watching American Restoration on TV last night, I saw a quick glimpse of something I have never seen before. The shop that the show is filmed at is next to a rail line in Las Vegas. There are often trains going by in the background, including intermodals.

What they showed that has me befuddled is a metal tower next to the track, with what looked like a uniformed policeman standing on top, watching the train from above the top of the containers.

Has anyone ever heard of/seen such a thing? I even rewound the clip and paused it, to make sure I saw what I saw.

Any info would be great!

JD
 #1019717  by JayBee

Yes there is such a thing, but not near Vegas, but rather just west of El Paso, where the Union Pacific mainline (formerly Southern Pacific) passes very near the border with Mexico. The Border Patrol is looking for Illegal Immigrants trainhopping to escape deeper into the US.
 #1027628  by NellsChoo

That does look a bit like the new shop in the TV show, but don't forget most of the time the images with these maps are not current. Sometimes, all you have to do is change the direction from NtoS, to EtoW, and a whole building disappears!
 #1028014  by 57A26

It might be a platform for railroad police to check intermodal trains as they pass. I've seen pictures of a UP special agent standing on the platform provided for signal maintainers on a block signal, inspecting a passing stack train.
JLH
 #1043448  by Backshophoss

The "towers" were put up for use by Customs/Border Patrol to inspect For illeagals riding on/in cars,C/BP will stop the train,question the crew,
then a slow roll by at the "towers" with agents on the ground/towers. There will be floodlights at some locations.
The locations are near C/BP facilties for additional support(Interstate checkpoints along I-10,other major highways along the Mexico border).
This is SOP for all freight leaving the Mexican border