• CSX REDI Center

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by sam7

here is the 2010 CSX operating rules book....http://www.scribd.com/marcwietzke/d/522 ... ndications
give me a example of what is on the final exam test?

this goes from GR-1 TO GR-102 THIS BOOK is 194 pages???
what do i need to study for that is on the final?
  by SGAKING

You need to study everything, If you just study what is on the test, then you will probably end up losing your job because you wont know half of the rules
  by x60pilot

sam7 wrote:here is the 2010 CSX operating rules book....http://www.scribd.com/marcwietzke/d/522 ... ndications

I don't want to come off sounding like a jerk but.... That is what you go down there for. You will read word for word every rule in that book during class. They will tell you what you MUST know, you NEED to know all of it in reality. That is just one of the 5 or 6 or 10 books you will get while you are down there. You need to know rule G rule GR-2 you go over rule 12 everyday in class, there are literally 100s of rules you will learn. Don't worry about reading that book now, you will only confuse yourself.

Good luck to you.
  by JCitron

x60pilot wrote:
sam7 wrote:here is the 2010 CSX operating rules book....http://www.scribd.com/marcwietzke/d/522 ... ndications

I don't want to come off sounding like a jerk but.... That is what you go down there for. You will read word for word every rule in that book during class. They will tell you what you MUST know, you NEED to know all of it in reality. That is just one of the 5 or 6 or 10 books you will get while you are down there. You need to know rule G rule GR-2 you go over rule 12 everyday in class, there are literally 100s of rules you will learn. Don't worry about reading that book now, you will only confuse yourself.

Good luck to you.
This is just like the IT world. You get people who study for the test and never get anywhere in the real world. They get hired because they have the certificates, but when it comes to reality, they can't get air out of a paper bag. There was a case where some nerd "knew everything" about RAIDs and then went and demonstrated by pulling 2 drives from the chassis! This can kill a RAID immediately.

Anyway, I am happy for all you ladies and gents who had the opportunity to make it to, and to make it through the REDI center. Due to circumstances, and me giving up on the prospect, I didn't do it. But there are reasons for everything.

John
  by dixiehearted

My experience at he REDI. First of all don't be nervous, if you read some of the posts on here it will scare you to death. It's not bad at all. All the instructors I had were very nice and eager to help if I had a questioned or needed help on something. The signals are probably the hardest, but there not even that bad (for seaboard signals). Everything that is on the quizzes and tests is covered very well in class if you pay attention you'll be ok. Also on tests and quizzes if you don't remember something ask for help the instructors are good at rewording a question to relate it to things you did or talked about in class. I don't know how people get kicked out for there average but they do. If you start struggling they make you take like a tutoring session. The guys that struggle though are the guys that go out to the bars every night. Just don't do stupid things while your there. Don't do stupid things at the hotel either no beer or such and be courteous to the hotel staff and don't trash your room. In the end don't worry if you try they will help you through they have to much invested in you at this point to be firing new people over little things, they know your learning and if they see you doing something wrong they'll let you know. Attitude is a problem with a lot of guys. Did see some guys leave for that reason, when an instructor ask you to do something a certain way do it and don't smart off they are just trying to help you. Don't be afraid it's not boot camp. I was nervous before going after reading this forum haha, but I really enjoyed my experience there and can't wait to get back for engineer school in a couple of years or sooner.
  by Raven421

Anyone heard of a March 5th start date? Thats what I was told in the beginning, but nothing confirmed. I have been ready to hire since the end of Dec out of Erwin TN.
  by bamafan14

I agree people shoud be so thankfull that GOD has blessed them with a job and go over there and do the work HARD and do the right things as which he has provided for you. I am from Montgomery AL and I just recived my "ready for Hire" status. Does anyone know when or has anybody else from around here been called for a statrt date at the REDI Center???
  by dixiehearted

Raven421 wrote:Anyone heard of a March 5th start date? Thats what I was told in the beginning, but nothing confirmed. I have been ready to hire since the end of Dec out of Erwin TN.
They start a new group of 50 or so every Monday.
  by Jbeale73

Raven421 wrote:Anyone heard of a March 5th start date? Thats what I was told in the beginning, but nothing confirmed. I have been ready to hire since the end of Dec out of Erwin TN.

I'm birding out of evansville, IN. I emailed the HR folks and they toldme that I may start sometime in march
  by sam7

Got the call today starting at the Redi on March 5 for a conductor position out of ashtabula,ohio!
  by Raven421

Guess that was the one they was telling me about. Anyway HR lady said I got bumped to the Mar 19 class but she could not confirm it till 2 weeks out. Who knows Im just thankful to have made it this far! Good luck to everyone!!
  by Ducati09

Hey everybody I just have a couple questions. After a five month process I finally got my start date for redi center for freight conductor. March 5th is my date. They called last Tuesday saying I would receive some emails confirming my start date. It's been a week and haven't recieved any emails yet. Just wondering how long it takes to receive them? I'm just overlly excited and can't wait to start. Does anyone have an idea how long it usually takes? Also any suggestions on what to bring down there with me or anything I need to know. I'm driving down from Cleveland thanks everyone
  by Ducati09

sam7 wrote:Got the call today starting at the Redi on March 5 for a conductor position out of ashtabula,ohio!
Congrats did you get those emails yet?
  by sam7

no emails yet!!... *** *** told me to call her if i don't get them by monday the 27th .That doesn't leave much time!

Site Admin Note: private party name redacted. Unless self-disclosed as a member, or a public official (CEO, Politician, etc.) we don't disclose private individual's names.
  by Jbrklyn76

Has anyone heard about a March 19th class up date for Freight Conductor?