• CSX REDI Center

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by rockstomper

Congrats to everyone who got the call.. I to rec'd my call finally been waiting since nov. 15th. I flight out on the 29th, start on the 30th of this month. I'm staying at the extended inn hotel or something like that. Does anyone know if theres a store near by and if they have washing machines? Ill be working out of tampa. look forward to learning and meething everyone
  by Hiijynx

I was also cleared for hire an told to wait for a start date at the REDI center. How long does this take, how early of a timeframe do they give you and how often are classes. Also I'm only 20 and was curious if being so young will be negative when in school and starting. I'm working out of baltimore
  by mikec1973

trainman82 wrote:done with week two! can't wait to get outside and do some hands on stuff the next two weeks!!!
how is the yard work going? lost anyone yet? how is the signal test?
  by pjlsjl

Heading to redi for the 2-6-12 class for conductor in corbin ky
  by sam7

hi,
i will be out of the cleveland,ohio area location!
can you tell me what type off signals i should be studying for the norteast
ohio area?

do you know were i can get some study material for my type of signals so i
can
get a jump on studying for them!
  by sam7

i have a question for you,when you go to the redi center for your 6 week
training!
i know you have to maintain a 85% average but you have to get a 100% on the
signal test!
can you explain too me how many times you get to take the signal test,i
think you said 9 times?
what about the other test?....how many times to you get take them also?
i will be at the cleveland,ohio location.so know i have to find out which
signals i have to learn and were to get study material so i can
get a head start!
  by olllllllo

Cleveland is conrail signals. You will not be tested on all of them but you will need to understand the dwarf signals. Just use the practice tests often, and you will learn them.
  by trainman82

the signals test is actually three separate test. wayside signs, aspects, and indications. you get 9 try's on each of those, plus there is a switch test which you have three try's and need a 100% on also. don't worry about what signals you need to learn till you get here, it's not hard to learn them. our class for example was done with all but indications by the end of week two. we go and start yard work on monday, haven't lost anyone yet in my class. better hold onto that ladder good, you fall before 4 minutes, and they send you straight home, no repeats.
  by sam7

are all the quiz's and exams multiple choices answers?Also what type of extra gear should you bring, rain gear sunglasses etc...?
do you have a microwave or fridge in the room?were do you guys get your laundry done?Are there restaurants in the hotels,were do
you guys shop at with no car?

thanks sam7
  by trainman82

yes sam, all the quize's and weekly tests are multiple choice, 25 questions on the daily quize's, and 50 on the tests. a good rain jacket is a must, it's not fun standing outside in cold rain trying to couple a car together for the first time or ride one. you have to wear the redi centers clear safety glasses while your here, no sunglasses. you will also get a hat which u must wear all the time while your outside of your classroom at the school, and you will get earplugs as well. bring some good gloves, such as mechanics brand gloves, trust me, they are worth it when holding onto some of this equipment. they will give you a cheapo pair of gloves if you don't have any, but like i said, bring your own, you'll be thanking me. you will be staying at an extended stay or extended stay deluxe most likely since they give the redi center the best deals. there are no restaurants in the hotel. and if you get the good fortune of staying at the one on powers ferry like i'm at right now, no grocery stores right near by, the closest one is a bit of a walk, same for restaurants. i'm glad i brought a car, it was well worth it. also yes, they do have a few washers and dryers, but they are a bit pricey. and a cheap stove and microwave and fridge.
  by bouley912

Right after you finish at the redi do you report like that next day to where ever your going to be working, this is essential to my plans for moving.
  by ferrell

Azah wrote:Has anyone got the call for redi center for bridge mechanic position. Ive been "ready to hire" since 9/30. Just looking for some kind of time frame.

ive been ready to hire since 11/10/2011 and havent heard anything either
  by x60pilot

bouley912 wrote:Right after you finish at the redi do you report like that next day to where ever your going to be working, this is essential to my plans for moving.
I started the Tuesday after, but most started the next Monday. In short don't plan on a break.
  by sam7

On the 2 "finals" the General Information Test and the Operating Rules Test, were these multiple choice answers?
About how many questions each?What do you think the biggest part of the test came from?...QUIZZES,WORKBOOK MATERIAL
OR IN CLASS STUDIES?
  by Kazecap0ne

sam7 wrote:On the 2 "finals" the General Information Test and the Operating Rules Test, were these multiple choice answers?
About how many questions each?What do you think the biggest part of the test came from?...QUIZZES,WORKBOOK MATERIAL
OR IN CLASS STUDIES?
the operating rules test and the GIT are both multiple choice...and all the quizes are to. one is 100 questions the other is 50...can't remember which is which tho. if i remember right the operating rules and GIT are both questions that where all covered in quizes. and pay attention to the questions you get wrong on the quizes...seems like they always sent them back to you on one of the tests.