Railroad Forums 

• Portland Maine Passenger Stations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1571011  by markhb

MEC407 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:29 pm 4) Greyhound could probably gain a lot of passengers—assuming they want to (?)—by relocating to a future consolidated transportation center. I don't think Concord Coach or Amtrak would lose any passengers to Greyhound; rather, Concord and Amtrak would gain new passengers coming from locations elsewhere on the Greyhound network who transfer to CC or AMTK to get to places on those networks. Plus, Greyhound would most likely gain all sorts of operational flexibility and service expansion potential that they don't currently have at 950 Congress due to the size limitations of the parcel.
Since the Portland rail relocation study essentially said Concord has no intention of moving (and they own the PTC complex and are currently redoing their parking lot), any new transportation center would at best include Amtrak and Greyhound, and I don't see Greyhound doing much to compete against Concord Coach's nonstop movie buses with direct-to-Logan service.
 #1571012  by fromway

The only thing helping Greyhound are customers who don't know about Concord. If you want to take the long route to Bangor take Greyhouned. It goes to everywhere but into Bangor. In the past it dropped you off at the Dysarts Service Center, miles out of downtown. I have been told that it also takes the long route, while Concerd offers direct servie, but still not in downtown Bangor. Greyhound uses its name to get Maine customers from away. The locals know to take Concord.