Railroad Forums 

• Porters derailment

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#5726  by mu26aeh

5 car derailment on Hanover Subdivision near Porters Siding on Friday, Mar. 19 was still under investigation as of Monday. Does anyone have any info on this incident ?? I don't think traffic has resumed through the area because trains are sitting at Camp Siding in Gettysburg.

re

#6510  by mu26aeh

In addition, trains have been coming into G-burg from Hagerstown, MD and stopping at Camp Siding on East side of town. After shunting cars around at Camp and in town with Gburg railroad interchange, engines head back light to Hagerstown.

Anyone have info on what/why CSX is doing this??
 #6614  by Guest

Doesn't that Hagerstown train normally turn at Hanover? Keep us posted. Five cars shouldn't take long to clean up. Last time I was up that way they ran two trains each way weekdays down the B&H to baltimore.

#6775  by mu26aeh

This afternoon NS widecab with 2 slug sets came into town and went to Camp siding. They pulled out about 15 cars that were sitting there, and later shoved everything back into G-burg. This eveing train is sitting just west of Gettysburg station with the locos between Washington and Carlisle streets idling. I have no idea what they are doing other then wasting fuel

#8621  by mu26aeh

Appears trains are still being dropped at Gettysburg when heading eastbound as consists continue to sit in Camp Siding. Still have no idea or have heard what is going on. As for turning at Hanover, I don't think it turns there, but maybe just a crew change as there USED to be an engine house there. That was torn down at least 6 months ago or more. That was another thing that I never heard why they did it or if it would be rebuilt.
 #8664  by Guest

I don't think the enginehouse at Hanover has been used as an enginehouse for many years, perhaps since steam operated on the subdivision. (1953) Rather, it was a car repair shop primarily for the limestone hoppers when the WM operated the stone train.

#10753  by mu26aeh

well, it appears traffic has returned to normal for most parts. Trains are now rolling right on through Gburg.

As for the train today, darkness spread across the area as SD-60 8693 in the "dark future" scheme with 8500 series in tow rolled through on a westbound.

#13025  by mu26aeh

Today I heard reason for increased and "strange" traffic patterns the other week was that work was being done on the brunswick line and they were sending freight anywhere they could in order to keep it away from Brunswick area. Guess that would explain why on April 5th, Brunswick was all but empty when I ran my water route.