Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#565871  by Harriman Station

PullmanCo wrote:
Harriman Station wrote:It would be a very big mistake for Metro-North to get out of Bergen/Main service. A transfer at Suffern would not suffice for the thousands of people commuting to the NYC area. While many Orange/Rockland county commuters are going to Westchester county, many others are going to NYC
Hmm? The Tappan Zee crossing proposal was all about direct rail service to Grand Central, IINM. A few odd sources are looking for cross-county (i.e. crossing Rockland and Westchester east-west) light rail, but that's not related to commuter rail going to GCT that I can see.
I was responding to Sarge's comment about pulling out of Bergen/Main service if cross-county service to Westchester (NOT NYC) was instututed. If the trains in this highly hypothetical situation were to go to GCT, then I think Metro-North could very easily pull out of service the Main/Bergen service. However, considering that some Port Jervis line riders are supposed to get a one-seat ride into NYC anyway once the new tunnels are built, spending billions to get rail service across the TZB to GCT would probably be a waste of money (even if personally I would rather arrive into GCT than the dump known as Penn station :wink: )
 #566214  by Erie-Lackawanna

TDowling wrote:What do you mean when you say that the shuttles "continued to turn at Middletown?" Are you saying that the Erie station in downtown Middletown on Depot Street was still being serviced by the RDC shuttles even after April 1983?
There is a Middletown station on the (former) Graham Line. After the switch, the shuttles turned at the (new) Middletown station, but not for long. For the October '83 timetable, the runs were extended to PO.

Jim
 #566238  by henry6

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:The current plan for TZB service is to operate some runs to GCT via the TZB, and others to Hoboken/PSNY via ARC.

Jim
I did not think there actually is a "current plan" but only rhetoric and words by some, that the TZB idea is the least likely of any scenerio for rail, at least for the time being.
 #566306  by PullmanCo

Erie-Lackawanna wrote:The current plan for TZB service is to operate some runs to GCT via the TZB, and others to Hoboken/PSNY via ARC
The ARC tunnels are not to lead to "PSNY", but to "34th Street Station".
henry6 wrote:I did not think there actually is a "current plan"
Did the MTA take it off their website? Looks like it's still there in some form, although that page outlines a 14-year-old study. There are more up-to-date PDFs on the MTA's website.
 #584520  by Otto Vondrak

Yes, all are correct. This is when the Erie Main Line was still in service, and would remain in service until 1984. What's more curious is the "Metro-North Commuter Rail Division" letterhead, not MTA or Conrail letterhead. Metro-North Commuter Railroad would not begin service until January 1, 1983. Which means that Metro-North operated service (through NJT) on the old Erie main.

Anyone know when Metro-North issued their first timetable for Port Jervis Line service?
 #584546  by sullivan1985

Otto Vondrak wrote:Metro-North Commuter Railroad would not begin service until January 1, 1983. Which means that Metro-North operated service (through NJT) on the old Erie main.
Odd... NJ TRANSIT did exist (as a bus company), but as far as I understand, they officially took over Rail Operations on the same date as Metro-Norths creation. Am I missing something?