Railroad Forums 

• Plymouth & Lincoln Railroad (HOBO, Winnipesaukee Scenic)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1626950  by R36 Combine Coach

b&m 1566 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:28 pm I'm pretty sure there are state laws pertaining to the use of volunteers for, for profit companies. I don't think you can use them in position that makes the company money or use them in paid positions.
Same with Black River (divided into a railroad and a historic trust). State and federal labor and tax laws come into
play, regarding the definition of employee vs. volunteer.
 #1627812  by CVRA7

I wonder how the Patriot Rail acquisition will affect the owners of the railroad equipment at various locations between Concord and Lincoln. The 5 RDCs that have been stored at Lincoln for a number of years will be departing for the Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum lines.
 #1627833  by p42thedowneaster

The Hobo did a great job with the two operations for many years. Nothing but great things to say! It will be interesting to see if Patriot keeps the Hobo theme or if they decide to make it more of a traditional scenic railroad with heritage paint schemes etc...

Would be great if they might be willing to create some "museum" tracks at Lincoln to show off some of the unique pieces that are not being used. Ie: the Flying Yankee, a few of the Alcos, 44 tonner, and maybe a proper B&M painted budd car too!
 #1627854  by NHV 669

p42thedowneaster wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:57 pm Would be great if they might be willing to create some "museum" tracks at Lincoln to show off some of the unique pieces that are not being used. Ie: the Flying Yankee, a few of the Alcos, 44 tonner, and maybe a proper B&M painted budd car too!
Not really any need to do that, considering you can see pretty much all the equipment on site as is; the Flying Yankee is sitting on blocks, so that's an entirely moot point.
 #1627865  by Who

I am pretty sure the state/FYA are trying to move the Yankee out. Ben wanted it off his property for several years and depending on where they are in that process, I have to believe moving it, is still par for the course.
 #1627880  by p42thedowneaster

If the state left a dump truck in my driveway for over 10 years, could I eventually claim ownership of it? Best thing that could happen in my mind is that the new owners would want to keep it, if for no other reason than to put it back on its wheels and show it off properly. Same for the Alcos...they could use proper MEC, BM, PT paint schemes for display in retirement.
Having these things shown off nicely is a great way to inspire younger generations to want to undertake full restorations in the future. MEC 501, and BM4268 are great examples.
 #1627885  by NHV 669

If you had paid any attention to the recent efforts regarding the FY consist, you'd know the exact opposite is the goal.

As for the rest of their power, much of it is stored serviceable and in some form of the PLLX scheme, why waste thousands to repaint them, for the sake of appeasing a handful of middle age foamers?
 #1627890  by p42thedowneaster

Well I think I've been paying attention. I was in Glen the night it arrived, 30 years ago. I was there the day 4266 rolled by in front of it as the snow fell on the first revenue run to Bartett. I was there in Lincoln the day it arrived and watched it roll up hobo hill piece by piece led by the Clark's calliope playing! I bought the tee shirt...wore out the tee shirt, and then bought a new one! I am aware of the efforts now, but my expectations are tempered to say the least.
Sorry to disagree about the ALCOs at least. Lol
 #1627910  by Who

p42thedowneaster wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:45 pmIf the state left a dump truck in my driveway for over 10 years, could I eventually claim ownership of it? Best thing that could happen in my mind is that the new owners would want to keep it, if for no other reason than to put it back on its wheels and show it off properly.
If it was only that easy. Maybe Ben had a case for that but it's hard to draw that card when you need the states tracks to run your business. If this new owner barks up the wrong tree, they could find themselves on the losing end on the next bid.
Maybe the new owner will welcome the train, maybe they won't, we just don't know. It all could be moot anyways, depending how far along they are in the process of finding a new home.