Railroad Forums 

• Pinewald Station Pic?

• Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/
Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

#647411  by Pinewald Station

I live 300 feet from the former CNJ Pinewald Station site hence my screen name. The station was built in the 20s I think and razed in 1974-14 years before I moved here now 35 years ago. I have searched for pictures on the internet of this station and also went to the BT Historical Society and have not been able to find a picture of it. Does anyone have one or maybe seen a picture in a book of it? Thanks for any help...
 #647687  by bruce a.

Yes it is in the bookThe Trail of The Blue Comet page 463.The book is about the CNJ southern div.The West Jersey chapter of thr NRHS printed it in 1994.you can chech the web-page to see if it still for sale.
 #647704  by Pinewald Station

Thanks Bruce!! I have heard a lot about that book and not many for sale used. Does it say the location or street names? I met some past owners of my house here in Pinewald and wrote them a letter asking if they had any CNJ or train station pics but haven't heard back yet. My house faces the ROW and was one of 3 facing east with nothing but trees to obstuct the view of the RR back then . They lived in the house from the early 1950's to 1967ish....I have to see if I can find the book!! Thanks again, Bruce
 #647746  by Pinewald Station

I looked around for thhe book on the internet and didn't find it for sale anywhere...Maybe if somebody has the book and could scan and email it to me? Just a thought.......Mike
 #647986  by CJPat

Although I have seen the book for sale on E-Bay at a monstrous price ($1,000), you can find it a lot easier by going to the Ocean County Library. There is a chance it may be out on loan to some other reader but if you don't mind waiting a week or so, you can reserve it and they will call you (you need to be a member). But hey, at least it will be free to peruse. Plus there are a couple of other books on the shelf next to it (at least in the Brick Twp branch library) you may find interesting.
 #648007  by Pinewald Station

Thanks Pat...I did a search for it on the OC liibrary website and didn't come up with anything. Maybe I will just call them and make them work..lol..... Just curious Pat, why are copies going for so much? Out of print? Thanks for your reply ......
 #648065  by Pinewald Station

I called OC library and found that Toms River,Brick,Lakewood and Manchester all have reference copies of this book which is for use in the library. There is one book among all the branches that can be checked out and I am 3rd on that list. Just a FYI on this book if someone wants to read it.......Mike
 #648087  by Pinewald Station

Never heard of Alberis but googled it and found the site. Prices for thae book are all over the place. I have seen $180,225,250,325 and higher.How much did it cost new?
 #648096  by CJPat

Pinewald Station wrote:Thanks Pat...I did a search for it on the OC liibrary website and didn't come up with anything. Maybe I will just call them and make them work..lol..... Just curious Pat, why are copies going for so much? Out of print? Thanks for your reply ......
Yes Mike, the book has been out of print since, I believe, at least the early '90s. I became aware of it, like you, through my readings on this forum. Evidently it is a local and highly popular book (fairly large too). I had to request it through OC Library about 2 yrs ago thru the Brick branch and had to wait a several weeks before it became available. Excellent book, but well worn by now. I'd love to see a reprinting of it.
 #648115  by Pinewald Station

I sent a message to the WJC of the NRHS and asked if they still had books for sale etc.....If I hear back I will ask if they have considered reprinting it as I think the print date was 1994. At this point the library is my best chance...
 #648146  by firthorfifth06

I purchased a sealed copy in very good to new condition for a reasonable $250. I even added the $6.99 for expedited shipping. why not haha
 #648271  by Jtgshu

I bought a brand new copy at the Mother Seton show 3 years ago for 60 dollars. Im pretty sure i saw one there this year but i didnt notice the price. for anyone who has any interest in railroads in monmouth ocean and points south the book is a must have. but keep ur eyes open at local train shows...they are out there.

it doesnt just talk about the southern division (meaning the actual route of the Blue Comet) but really is an encyclopedia of most southern NJ railroads and their forming, plans that never were, their operation, and unfortunately many times, their demise.