Railroad Forums 

• Photo of Penn Station debris dumped in Meadowlands?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#479415  by NJTRailfan

Shelly Silvwer is NY's Jim McGreevy. But I wish he'd get out like McGreevy the like rat that he is. He serves 0 purpose at all.

The man is clearly worthless protecting the intrest of a greedy Dolan and constantly go against the will of the people that he took an oath to serve. He is a public servant there to serve the needs of his public and not for his selfish desires because he is a Die Hard Rangers Fan. Dolan is worse the anyone from the Steinbrenner family put together. The stuff that they have done alone by going out of their way above and beyond time and time again to kill this project then celebrate over it should warrant a cell out in Rikers with the general population.

What disgusts me is that despite all the trouble he had given George Pataki, Elliot Spitzer, and other supporters includign Patrick Moynihan's daughter over the Moynihan Station (which by the way is named after a man with integrety, respect from all people and a man who truely beleived in his county and the city he served for many years in which Sheldon Silver is the total opposite) he never recieved nowhere near the bad press as the two governors even though he tried to block a law that would protect children from criminals called Jessica's Law.

How does New York get such ilk and put up with it is beyond me. It's no wonder why we here in the tri state are constantly viewed as the laughing stock by the rest of the country.

Good people are always screwed in this part of the country while the Silvers, McGreevys, and the Florios get away with it everytime.

#479420  by Jtgshu

Where is the "rolleyes" smiley when you need it...........

#479444  by NY&LB

F 45: If you look at Sir Ray's posting you can see the 4 car MP 54 train and "snake hill" in the distant background, the dump site is EAST {and SOUTH} of Secaucas station and the area has mostly been built over by the warehouses and truck terminals you see when riding the train to NYP.

#480054  by C. Crane

since any pix found was taken decades ago, most of the debris has been either buried by warehouse development or possibly looted away.

I stumbled across a website a year or so ago of some modern archaeologists using ground penetrating radar to locate what was actually left of the Penn Station debris. They located a couple of spots under parking lots that looked promising but I know not of what has happened since.

remember the Pennsy was losing a Million Dollars a day when the decision was made to sell of Penn Station... a horrendously short sighted act.

Alexander Cassat is STILL spinning in his grave!

oh BTW, I am neither a Democrat or wealthy, but I can tell you for a FACT that Jim Florio did not personally profit from his time in office. And perhaps one should recall that as Chairman of the House Transportation Committe he was instrumental in the creation of Conrail as well as protecting the jobs and pensions of Railwaymen at the time.

#480282  by Mr. Ed

No, but he sure is profiting from the condo deal that is going in at P'burg. Sadly, I voted for the bum. But then again I thought the Eagles were going to be in the playoffs. Who knew!

Later!
Mr. Ed :-D

#480824  by CRB

NJTRailfan wrote:How dare they destroy a structure like this and repalce it with a useless venue that houses the worst basketball and hockey team in history of the sports
Hey, lets not dump on the Rangers. They have been playing very well the past few years.

#480887  by NJTRailfan

Forget all of them! I'm still soured over the NHL Strike and even the baseball strike of 1994. Those guys get more money then most in this country will ever see in a lifetime and are treated like Kings. The pro sports in this country is like a cartel/mafia.

#481125  by Steve F45

is it possible someone can take like a google earth map and kinda draw a circle in the area where its suspected debris might be?

#481303  by B_A_R

Maybe this is common knowledge here, but one of the large boxy track signs from Penn Station is preserved at the Whippany museum.

#481342  by NJTRailfan

It's too bad more wern't preserved otherwise you could've somehow incorporated them into the CNJ Terminal in Jersey City. They would've looked nicer there and more of the station would be around for all to enjoy and learn just like the marker commemoration for CNJ employees is between Tracks 10 and 11. No doubt URHS has a few stored away somewhere if Whippany has one.

I'll also bet that an ex PRR/PC employee or even a railfan probably has one themselves just waiting to be shown off.
Last edited by NJTRailfan on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

#481343  by Steve F45

Otto Vondrak wrote:Why? Gonna dig some up? :-)
no no, dont want to get arrested. more for curiosity really.

#481344  by NJTRailfan

i personally don't think you'll be arrested as long as you have permission of the property owner and tell them what you want to do. Quite a few groupshave been there before. but if you do plan to dig be sure to check with the State and City first so that they can tell you if there are any utltiies underground that you must watch out for. Last thing you want is to dig up a gas line or knock out power and water for thousands of people.

#481345  by Steve F45

NJTRailfan wrote:i personally don't think you'll be arrested as long as you have permission of the property owner and tell them what you want to do. Quite a few groupshave been there before. but if you do plan to dig be sure to check with the State and City first so that they can tell you if there are any utltiies underground that you must watch out for. Last thing you want is to dig up a gas line or knock out power and water for thousands of people.
I wouldn't go on the business properties, i mean most are open on weekends and dont want to get in the way even with permission. Plus if groups have gone before and didn't find anything i doubt i'll find anything by myself. But there are a few offroad trails near the jersey city firing range and a few what seem to be walkign trails near DB draw on the secaucus side. Is this in the general area?