Railroad Forums 

• PAR Business Train (ST 100, 101, 102 & 103; PAR 1 & 2)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1600169  by CSRR573

markhb wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:20 pm A moment of silence is in order I suppose. Hopefully it's going to either a museum or a smaller railroad that would put it back in service as their OCS.
Even though they havent been with CSRR in over a decade, I cant tell you how many times I rode behind them on the Notch train and even Valley runs. I for one am sad to see them leave Northern New England
 #1600269  by johnpbarlow

The 4 Pan Am OCS cars moved west on M427 across the B&A Tuesday evening. Here are murky screen captures of the OCS equipment near the rear of the train passing Westfield live cam at midnight Wednesday 6/22/22.
Attachments:
CSX M427 PAR OCS cars Westfield 062222.JPG
CSX M427 PAR OCS cars Westfield 062222.JPG (75.24 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
CSX M427 PAR OCS cars Westfield 062222 2.JPG
CSX M427 PAR OCS cars Westfield 062222 2.JPG (75.35 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
 #1608969  by Engineer Spike

Recently a friend of mine posted a picture of the Guilford business train of the 1980s. It had one of the GP39-2 transferred from D&H to B&M, and the MEC boiler equipped GP7, which had been reassigned to D&H. In the consist were several lightweight stainless steel passenger cars, and of course the heavyweight business car. I also recall seeing the business train on the Waterbury line as a teen. The consist was the same, except for two GP39-2s.

In recent years the train ran with just two cars, the heavyweight, and one lightweight, before the more recent acquisition of the dome and the sleeper from CSX. I believe the lightweight was named Northpoint at some time. Wasn't the lightweight formerly a stainless clad car? My main question is about what happened to all of the other lightweight stainless cars? When were they all either just sidelines or sold?
 #1609009  by shadyjay

100 and 101 were both former D&H cars... I believe the 100 was the one that used to be stainless, but the fluting was removed. Then 102 and 103 were added later (the sleeper and dome).

But yes, back in the 1980s there were other cars more stainless. There were 4 MEC cars I believe, and according to what I have seen on records, one is at the City Point Central/remnants of the Belfast & Moosehead Lake and the others were stored at Waterville until recently. I believe the Plymouth & Lincoln picked them up and they're somewhere in NH.

This thread may have more answers you seek:
par-business-train-st-100-101-102-amp-1 ... 55043.html

And of course the 573 is operating at Conway Scenic. Not sure if it still has the steam generator that kept it in business train service for so long.
 #1609240  by A215

shadyjay wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:58 pm There were 4 MEC cars I believe, and according to what I have seen on records, one is at the City Point Central/remnants of the Belfast & Moosehead Lake and the others were stored at Waterville until recently.
Only two stainless MEC cars, one is at Belfast and Moosehead, the other is sitting behind the shops in Waterville and can be seen from across the river. The other 2 MEC cars were 322 and 333, original MEC OCS coaches which did indeed leave the property for hopefully restoration.

101 was the former stainless car also.