Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by FL9AC

as of now the following units have been rebuilt:

201, 202, 203, 204, 205, 207, 208, 209, 211, 213, 214, 215, 216, 227

-the 212 was sent out when the 213 came back so that unit should be heading back shortly. The 210 is the next unit to be sent out for rebuild.
  by Darien Red Sox

How are these things running? My train this morning was delayed and the conductor said it was due to problems with the locomotive and needed to switch over from electric to diesel mode in Danbury. As it pulled out of Stamford I noticed it was one of the rebuilt ones on the train. The locomotive that was should have been pulling my train on Monday also acted up to the extent that I was never on that train. Have these locomotives been acting up more often or is it just everyone on my train has been having bad luck.
  by RearOfSignal

Darien Red Sox wrote:How are these things running? My train this morning was delayed and the conductor said it was due to problems with the locomotive and needed to switch over from electric to diesel mode in Danbury. As it pulled out of Stamford I noticed it was one of the rebuilt ones on the train.
It should have changed-over from third-rail to diesel back in Manhattan. No third-rail in Danbury last time I checked, or anywhere east of Pelham.
  by Darien Red Sox

RearOfSignal wrote:
Darien Red Sox wrote:How are these things running? My train this morning was delayed and the conductor said it was due to problems with the locomotive and needed to switch over from electric to diesel mode in Danbury. As it pulled out of Stamford I noticed it was one of the rebuilt ones on the train.
It should have changed-over from third-rail to diesel back in Manhattan. No third-rail in Danbury last time I checked, or anywhere east of Pelham.
That's what I thought.
Do they perform any tests on the electric mode before the train gets going? Is there something else Diesel/Electric mode means?
  by MN-P32AC-DM-201-227

Seen rebuilt 213 last week, I see she still sports here name under the cab's window.
  by FL9AC

Do they perform any tests on the electric mode before the train gets going? Is there something else Diesel/Electric mode means?
The electric mode on the P32's can't be checked unless the locomotive has third rail power coming through the shoes. That mode switch has to be in a neutral position on the locomotive before leaving in push mode or it won't switch over to electric mode from the cab car going into the terminal, so maybe that was the delay to your train. Aside from slower acceleration from a stand still, the rebuilds are performing pretty well.
Seen rebuilt 213 last week, I see she still sports here name under the cab's window.
actually it now has two different names...father and son...one under each cab window.
  by FL9AC

Really? Did, or do they work in one of the MN shops?
I don't follow what you are asking. If you are asking if the electric mode is checked on the P32's in any of the shops, then the answer is no. Before, when the diesel shop was in the old building, there were short pieces of third rail outside the south end of the building that the engine was spotted on if any electric mode testing was necessary. The new facility has no third rail "stubs" outside on either end of the shop but they will be installed on the north end soon. Until then the units must be checked in E-mode before they come to the shop area.
  by MN-P32AC-DM-201-227

Oh I'm sorry FL9AC, I meant did the father and son work in the shops, sorry!! :-D Although that's very interesting how they check E-mode on the P32's in the shops, thanks.
  by DutchRailnut

Richard(Dick) Kirner was former chief Mechanical officer and later Vice president of operations, he was instrumental in bringing the fleet from Conrail delipdated to maintained under MNCR status.
He was also instrumental in renewing the diesel fleet and upgrading shops etc.
His son Tom Kirner a former Tower Operator and later Engineer was very well liked by both his fellow Engineers and managment, he was also local chairman of union for New Haven line.

Both will get lots of respect for what they did . and it was a very nice tribute to put both their names on the Locomotive both Father and Son passed away from Cancer.
The 213 was choosen as replacement of the 2013 the original engine with Richard Kirners signature under window, it later was painted as NYC 2013 and currently at Danbury Railway Museum
  by MN-P32AC-DM-201-227

Very interesting Dutch, that's a very honorable tribute MNCR did. Very sad both passed from cancer.
  by FL9AC

The 218 just came back from rebuild.
  by Amtrak7

How many locomotives are yet to be rebuilt?
  by FL9AC

As of now half the fleet has been rebuilt...another 15 units have yet to be rebuilt including all four CDOT units.