Railroad Forums 

• Out of the shop: Guess what it is... (injectors)

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#685774  by Steffen

Well, only crouching under locomotive frames isn't the work in shops, either.
Usually you remove parts from the engines, clening it and dismount the parts, as we often talk about disrupting the things in their parts, because sometimes screws are so tight and corroded, you have do blast them.

so here a picture from a thing, I had removed from it's location at the boiler.
I removed all important parts from the cast iron frame, and let the frame on it's place at the cab.
You see her the parts I brought into the workshop, cleaned the parts from oil and dust and laid 'em out on the workbench...

So, guess what it is...
Last edited by Steffen on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #689962  by Steffen

steemtrayn wrote:Injector nozzle?
Yes! These are injector parts.
The main frame of cast iron if usully not out of order. more the nozzle, in the picture at bottom, is covered with scale and has to be cleaned with some phosphoric and hydrochloric acid.
Also the german injoctores are controlled by a spindle, which you can at top, with the valve tip to the top left corner. At the right corner on left is the spindle packing and in the corner the start-up by-pass shut-down flap. Below on the right side is the center ring for the by-pass flap and the by-pass valve below.
Below the spindle is the spindle hand lever and below the water valve controll, with the sieve for avoiding large parts enter the injector and clog it.
Well and on right at least to large packing eye for the spindle packing.

All other parts, like the rings, are metal seal rings.

The injector nozzle is sealed with a special PFTE sealing string and placed into the cast iron frame. The spindle tip is given on the lathe a new valve edge and placed back in the center of the nozzle, giving it a good PTFE packing, packing the main gland and putting all in place the the packing or gland eye.
The water valve gets a new sieve and is also placed below the spindle in the injoctor body, getting a packing with PFTE string in it's gland and hold it with a small gland holder.
At least at top of the injector body the by-pass valve is mounted, and after giving the by-pass shutdown flap a new sealing edge, the valve tails will be guided into it and the shutdown flap will be screwed into it's position and hold in place by the flap screw ring.
Usually those screws are tight engough to be self-sealed, but I commonly add some sealing gel to the screw parts, to ensure a real tightness.

Now the injectores is mounted again, the hand levers can be replaced and the injector can be checked next time boiler is on pressure, to see if the workshop did it well.