Railroad Forums 

• Orange Branch

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#832560  by NJ Vike

I heard Hartz Mountain is closing its doors in Bloomfield soon. Is this the only customer on the branch? If so, are they going to be abandoing it? I was in Newark the other day by Forest Hill. You can just about see the tracks that are left. East of here some of the tracks have been removed and by North Eralington, people now park their cars where the trains used to cross.

:(

NJ vike,

Yes, it is supposed to close its doors in 2011, however, AFAIK they have not received a rail shipment in over a year. I thought I remember hearing the NS local go down there in April or May of 2009 and that was it.

Also, I haven't heard any news as to whether NS will abandon the Eastern leg of the Boonton line or the Orange Branch, so I don't know what the fate will be!
 #832892  by M&Eman

If NS does abandon the Orange Branch, will the Newark Light Rail be free to extend over more of the branch, perhaps to Watsessing Ave. or East Orange?
 #832902  by Roadgeek Adam

M&Eman wrote:If NS does abandon the Orange Branch, will the Newark Light Rail be free to extend over more of the branch, perhaps to Watsessing Ave. or East Orange?
Tracks extend to the site of the old Brighton Avenue (East Orange) station if memory serves me, so theoretically yes. I know if NS doesn't find anymore use of the old Boonton, I'd actually extend the tracks eastward at BB Park, turning to Forest Hill (which would be a station and go either a) west to Walnut Street, Montclair or b) east to North Newark.

(I know well enough that getting a train in Montclair will be like beating a dead horse, but there are many horses to beat still ;))
 #833272  by NJ Vike

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
M&Eman wrote:If NS does abandon the Orange Branch, will the Newark Light Rail be free to extend over more of the branch, perhaps to Watsessing Ave. or East Orange?
Tracks extend to the site of the old Brighton Avenue (East Orange) station if memory serves me, so theoretically yes. I know if NS doesn't find anymore use of the old Boonton, I'd actually extend the tracks eastward at BB Park, turning to Forest Hill (which would be a station and go either a) west to Walnut Street, Montclair or b) east to North Newark.

(I know well enough that getting a train in Montclair will be like beating a dead horse, but there are many horses to beat still ;))
That would explain the tracks not being cared for. I believe Hartz Mountain is the last customer on this once busy line.

As far as where the tracks extends to, it dosn't go beyond Hartz Moutain. The tracks were removed years ago towards West Orange.
 #833273  by NJ Vike

They can't extend it as 1) the would need a bridge as the Orange branch goes directly over the DL&W - Montclair branch below. I know they can install one there but once they cross the Montclair branch, they go onto some warehouse.
 #833285  by Roadgeek Adam

NJ Vike wrote:
They can't extend it as 1) the would need a bridge as the Orange branch goes directly over the DL&W - Montclair branch below. I know they can install one there but once they cross the Montclair branch, they go onto some warehouse.
Not completely true. You could end the rail line right at Watsessing and have them deadhead back to Grove Street.
 #833610  by NJ Vike

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
NJ Vike wrote:
Not completely true. You could end the rail line right at Watsessing and have them deadhead back to Grove Street.
Are you saying end the rail prior to the crossing of the Montclaia branch below? If you're talking about going over the Montclair branch, the property after that is owned by a factory or warehouse.
 #833640  by Roadgeek Adam

NJ Vike wrote:Are you saying end the rail prior to the crossing of the Montclair branch below? If you're talking about going over the Montclair branch, the property after that is owned by a factory or warehouse.
Just before the station of course. We can build a new LR station at Watsessing Avenue and have a nice transfer.
 #833646  by NJ Vike

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
NJ Vike wrote:Are you saying end the rail prior to the crossing of the Montclair branch below? If you're talking about going over the Montclair branch, the property after that is owned by a factory or warehouse.
Just before the station of course. We can build a new LR station at Watsessing Avenue and have a nice transfer.
I didn't realize the Orange Branch was that close to the Watsesing Station. I guess it would work. Would need stairs and a ramp to walk to the station. How far do you believe it is? I'm guessing about 300 yards.
 #833664  by Roadgeek Adam

NJ Vike wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:
I didn't realize the Orange Branch was that close to the Watsesing Station. I guess it would work. Would need stairs and a ramp to walk to the station. How far do you believe it is? I'm guessing about 300 yards.
Platform would need to be extended southbound a little bit, but not too crazy. Stairs would need to be added due to the 1912 cut and they'd need to extend the parking lot along the outbound platform.
 #833703  by NJ Vike

Well, that would seem like a possibility. My question would be who would be the customers on this line and how far east do we extend the line? Currently, it hits the old NY&GL at Forrest Hill in Newark. How much can the LR take away from Bus Service? Would it be feasible to spend the money on the light rail if the buses are being used? How would the LR be an advantage over the buses?
 #833732  by njmidland

I would estimate the distance from where the Orange Branch meets the DL&W Montclair Branch to the Watsessing Avenue Station to be about 500 feet. I haven't been back there since they tore down the Westinghouse plant, but there was a track that came off the branch and curved north, almost paralleling the DL&W. If you used that (or created a new track) you could reduce the distance. I like the idea of the NCS not being a "dead end", but how many people would want to transfer there rather than at Broad Street? The ride from Grove Street to Penn Station is likely a lot slower than via Broad Street to Penn.
 #833743  by Roadgeek Adam

njmidland wrote:I would estimate the distance from where the Orange Branch meets the DL&W Montclair Branch to the Watsessing Avenue Station to be about 500 feet. I haven't been back there since they tore down the Westinghouse plant, but there was a track that came off the branch and curved north, almost paralleling the DL&W. If you used that (or created a new track) you could reduce the distance. I like the idea of the NCS not being a "dead end", but how many people would want to transfer there rather than at Broad Street? The ride from Grove Street to Penn Station is likely a lot slower than via Broad Street to Penn.
Speedy service from/to Newark's Branch Brook Park (beneficial for the cherry blossom festival), service to more of Newark and surrounding suburbs, and yes the provided transfer to Montclair-Boonton service. Plus because NS removed the outbound track, the stops at Rowe Street, Belwood Park, Benson Street, Walnut Street (Montclair) Would be able to see some service to either station, and theoretically, if you ran the LR eastward from Forest Hill to North Newark, you'd be near assured that all parts of the city have been covered (except for the newark branch neighborhoods)
 #833788  by NJ Vike

Roadgeek Adam wrote:
njmidland wrote:I would estimate the distance from where the Orange Branch meets the DL&W Montclair Branch to the Watsessing Avenue Station to be about 500 feet. I haven't been back there since they tore down the Westinghouse plant, but there was a track that came off the branch and curved north, almost paralleling the DL&W. If you used that (or created a new track) you could reduce the distance. I like the idea of the NCS not being a "dead end", but how many people would want to transfer there rather than at Broad Street? The ride from Grove Street to Penn Station is likely a lot slower than via Broad Street to Penn.
Speedy service from/to Newark's Branch Brook Park (beneficial for the cherry blossom festival), service to more of Newark and surrounding suburbs, and yes the provided transfer to Montclair-Boonton service. Plus because NS removed the outbound track, the stops at Rowe Street, Belwood Park, Benson Street, Walnut Street (Montclair) Would be able to see some service to either station, and theoretically, if you ran the LR eastward from Forest Hill to North Newark, you'd be near assured that all parts of the city have been covered (except for the newark branch neighborhoods)
Speaking of Benson Street, the station is being worked on. Who owns it? Is it Jimmy something that owns that shortline in Passaic/Paterson?
 #833795  by NJ Vike

I think the owners name of the Benson Street Station is Jimmy Wilson. Correct?