Railroad Forums 

• Ontario Central and Finger Lakes Merger

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#420468  by lvrr325

I've always thought that this would happen eventually, just because of the issues involving car rates having to go through a second RR to interchange to a major carrier. I know they had worked out some kind of arrangement, but this will simplify things even further.

Hopefully the Finger Lakes folks can work some magic and maybe generate more traffic up here, too.

And yes, nice people out there, I had the good fortune to meet them many years ago and get a batch of nice pictures of their railroad. At the time it was pre-LA&L but post Ontario Lines. I remember they stopped on the way back from interchange with Conrail to get groceries in Manchester and also to pick up some firewood from a fallen tree around the site of Blacksmith interlocking, which went back to Victor stacked on the walkway of the 86.

My only question would be what becomes of the equipment that was stored at the end of track in Victor (on the NYC side) - and what's left of it? There was an old tender plow, one of the LV 40' boxcars, and an ex-RDG 34' hopper - I think I remember reading that was sold off quite a few years ago, though. The boxcar apparrently had enough brakes left to be used as an idler car on a few occasions.

#420600  by Otto Vondrak

Mr. Brown proves that railroading is indeed a family affair, and that the family will constantly reinvent itself an adapt to whatever is thrown at them- the proof goes all the way back to 1979. Professional railroading all the way, whether you're moving one car or a hundred.

-otto-

#420955  by bwparker1

The STB filing is available by clicking here

Courtesy of Roc from railfan.net

#426013  by nessman

Well... the ONCT used an EMD switcher when 418 was down or out of town for repair for long periods of time. Suffice to say, the railroad got the job done.

#426454  by Otto Vondrak

I'm quite aware there's an SW8 in the barn. I was waxing poetic about how there are currently no Alcos on the ONCT roster.

-otto-

#426670  by TwoHands

I spoke with persons at FGLK this morning and was informed FGLK is NOT operating on ONTC track. If you see them doing so you got a scoop. J

#426682  by nessman

TwoHands wrote:I spoke with persons at FGLK this morning and was informed FGLK is NOT operating on ONTC track. If you see them doing so you got a scoop. J
Huh?

#426868  by RailBus63

I don't believe FGLK can operate OCNT until approval is received from the Surface Transportation Board.

#426878  by Luther Brefo

Otto Vondrak wrote:I'm quite aware there's an SW8 in the barn. I was waxing poetic about how there are currently no Alcos on the ONCT roster.

-otto-
SW-9!

:)

#426914  by Otto Vondrak

If I understood the STB filing correctly, FGLK would own ONCT in the same manner LAL did- as a separate company operating independently. That said, it was my impression that FGLK would continue to leave cars for ONCT to pick up at Shortsville, and that FGLK would not run through to Victor. ONCT still has the SW-9 (thanks Luther, I was just too lazy to look it up) in the barn, so I would assume that would be the primary power. Of course, we wont really know until it happens...

-otto-

#427007  by nessman

For the FGLK to own/control the ONCT, but not actually operate on it doesn't make any sense.

The "intel" I got from those in the know is the ONCT trackage will be operated by the FGLK on a regular schedule.

For all intents and purposes - it will be similar to how the R&S operates on the G&W - they own it, they control it, but there's not a separate fleet of engines or crews to operate it.
 #428831  by Matt Langworthy

BR&P wrote:Thanks for the kind words.

<snipped>

You may play for the Buffalo Bills for years, but if you are traded to the Dolphins you put on the orange and turquoise and hit the field running. FGLK has a proven track record and we look forward to making a contribution to their operation in whatever way we can.
Good luck and best wishes for the future to you, as well as the rest of the ONCT crew. BTW, I still have 100+ pictures taken about 18 months ago set aside for you. PM me if you want them.

P.S. While I shall miss what was, I am intrigued to see what will be...

#431744  by nessman

Map on that web page still says the WNYP runs to Corry PA.

www.onctrr.com is still up with LAL info.