Railroad Forums 

• Old Budd RDC's and their future

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#631684  by NRGeep

Noticed a large flatbed trailer truck parked next to the decrepit RDC's in Somerville the other day. They could have been there for something else, but just curious if they were hauling one or both away?
 #631691  by dieciduej

The flatbeds are for the new billboard that is going up in the MBCR storage yard. You can see the giant mast has been planted and I think the framework has been dropped off. A new billboard was placed just outside of Sullivan Sq southbound. Tough economy so advertise more...

JoeD
 #631700  by GP40MC 1116

After all the effort it took to get 6213, 6214 from iron Horse Park a few years back, I doubt they would get rid of them. It is nice to see as you go by on the train to or from North Station, however it would have been nice to see them used for something a bit better than just static display.

Last time I checked the roster, NE Transit still shows 6114, 6917 stored at N. Billerica, MA, anyone know if they are or where they are?
 #631726  by Otto Vondrak

GP40MC 1116 wrote:After all the effort it took to get 6213, 6214 from iron Horse Park a few years back, I doubt they would get rid of them. It is nice to see as you go by on the train to or from North Station, however it would have been nice to see them used for something a bit better than just static display.
Were they specifically moved from Iron Horse Park specifically for display or to be otherwise saved?
 #631730  by GP40MC 1116

The "original" plan was to make them into MBCR crew quarters for the train master and train crews I thought. Their should be another thread on these cars somewhere in the MBTA forum.
 #631741  by GP40MC1118

The 6114 & 6917 are still in North Billerica with all sorts of vegatation growing
around them and through them.

The Budds at FX were original brought down for North Station crew quarters
for the 2004 Democratic National Convention. They came down in a special
move on a Saturday Easter weekend.

All the plans fell through, even one suggesting they become a display at
North Station. As to what happens to them is anyone's guess. Maybe if
scrap prices go up again, there will be movement.

D
 #631750  by GP40MC 1116

Were these 4 Budd's just a lasting bit of the old B&M and now MBTA commuter rail service? Did these come from the same group that was going to be scrapped or sold off? I know the Hobo RR in Lincoln, NH has a bunch of ex B&M and MBTA RDC's and wasn't sure if these remaining 4 in Mass were once part of that list.. Last I knew they had...

#631935  by atsf sp

No museum would want them? The ones by the BET are on shop trucks yes, but with a little cosmetic repairs they could be good looking.
 #631971  by e-m00

atsf sp wrote:No museum would want them? The ones by the BET are on shop trucks yes, but with a little cosmetic repairs they could be good looking.
A little? Have you seen them? Try an entirely new interior, new windows, some exterior patching, a complete paint job, and that's just off the top of my head.
 #632004  by NRGeep

e-m00 wrote:
atsf sp wrote:No museum would want them? The ones by the BET are on shop trucks yes, but with a little cosmetic repairs they could be good looking.
A little? Have you seen them? Try an entirely new interior, new windows, some exterior patching, a complete paint job, and that's just off the top of my head.
And asbestos removal? Anyone know the history of the units?
 #632110  by GP40MC1118

History?

Here's what I got:

B&M RDC-2 6213 BN: 6502 BD: 9/56
B&M RDC-2 6214 BN: 6815 BD: 2/58

Both sold to the MBTA 12/76.

6213 was apparently already out of service at North Billerica in 1976
and never ran again.

6214 was stored at BET sometime in 1979, then moved to North Billerica.

Both sold in 1989 along with the two other RDC's up there, several other RDC's. 4
E8A's and coaches to various parties. The four RDC's were never claimed and
became derelict.

Both moved 4/19/03 (Easter Weekend) to Somerville in a special move at 10MPH.

Dave
 #632496  by GP40MC1118

Honestly don't know...I assume the deal fell through or they backed out of it.

D
 #632509  by Otto Vondrak

atsf sp wrote:No museum would want them?
Sure. We all "want" them. Do you have the money to purchase them? To have them moved by flatbed? To perform those "minor" cosmetic repairs? Etc. etc.... :-)