Railroad Forums 

• Official Trackless Trolley Thread/Tracker

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#935503  by Disney Guy

One of the advantages of nub stop (bulb-out stop) operation (defacto nub stop operation pictured immediately above) is that on a wide street, the overhead wires can be hung further from the curb and the trackless trolleys can range over more lanes to better avoid double parked trucks and other obstructions.

Some time ago I saw a picture of a TT stranded in the middle of a street (not in Boston), unable to reach the wires for either direction of travel. This was caused by a combination of snow drifts and parked cars.
 #935586  by 3rdrail

It's also a rules violation (126); "Unless circumstances or good judgement indicate otherwise, the Operator shall always stop at the curb or side of the highway or in an enclosed area for the purpose of receiving or discharging passengers."
(Although, I can't blame the operator. Those TT's had no power assisted steering. They had to be steered hand over hand.) The long trolley poles with swivelling harps give the TT's a twelve-feet leeway, both sides of the coach, though. (Nobody's getting written up on this one, trust me.)
 #935670  by 3rdrail

Teamdriver wrote:Why are there no "MTA" markings on that tank?
Are you referring to the Pullman shot above ? It's got it visible on the side - the large round "cities and towns served" logo, circa '47 - '56. The "goose egg" came after that, and unlike the "cities and towns", didn't have to be changed everytime that a towns only line was taken out or added.
 #980332  by FatNoah

I just took a stroll through Watertown square. It looks like a dump truck went through the intersection with the bed in the "up" position and ripped down all of the TT wires (and I do mean all). PD and FD were just arriving when I walked by. A coworker snapped a couple pictures. I'll link to them if/when I get them.
 #980620  by Disney Guy

I would hope that Watertown and Belmont don't get fed up with all these wire takedowns that they want trackless trolleys discontinued.

I would hope that the trucking company pays enough to have the wires restrung properly and not done as a makeshift that might come down during a small dewirement at a later date not too far from now.
 #980623  by danib62

So glad it was later in the day! I had to take the 71 to watertown to get to an interview yesterday morning.
 #980630  by FatNoah

Hats off to the T crews. When I left work last night at 8:30pm, the wires had been removed and the intersection was open. When I arrived to work about 5 minutes ago (9:30am), the wires were back up and I saw a 71 trolley waiting to start its route and there was no sign that anything had occurred.
 #980688  by StevieC48

Disney Guy wrote:I would hope that Watertown and Belmont don't get fed up with all these wire takedowns that they want trackless trolleys discontinued.

I would hope that the trucking company pays enough to have the wires restrung properly and not done as a makeshift that might come down during a small dewirement at a later date not too far from now.

The MBTA does it's own work and does not involve outside contractors to deal with wire issues in emergancies. The MBTA could bill the trucking company for the cost of parts and labor I can imiagine.
 #980729  by danib62

The T's wire crew is excellent and speedy. There was one weekend they had to take down the wires on mass ave to move a house and they got the job done lickity-split.
 #980814  by CRail

Harvard House Move

Wire problems cause delays the same as disabled trains, medical emergencies, blocked busways, etc. Whenever there is a problem diesel buses are usually sent immediately and normal service is restored within a couple of hours. In this case, service was restored overnight.
 #980826  by Disney Guy

Do the trolley wires have breakaway joints here and there? Otherwise I would be surprised that the Watertown Square loop and also a quarter mile up Mt. Auburn St. and also a few line poles did not get bent out of shape.