Railroad Forums 

• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#636865  by RV History Buff

That is great news!!! I never realized the quick printing business moved out of there. I usually ride by there once in awhile. Will he be allowing walk-ins for the curious Rahway Valley fans? :-D
 #636879  by Sfd4

Yes, I spoke to him this morning. They had to tear up the floor yesterday and found termites had eaten one of the floor beams. They will put in a new beam and new wood flooring. He will certainly allow you to look inside when its done. He wil also try to get an old type station exterior light to install. Oh if he could only find a RR signal or Crossing sign. He is not a Railfan but likes old history. He is also a great Chiropractor and would love to hear any stories of the building. He found out that the Bay window was installed in . He may put a raised rail track going around the ceiling area with LGB trains
 #636905  by RV History Buff

Is he possibly considering putting up photos of the old RV in his office? If he wants tickets he should check ebay, there is almost always a photo or ticket on there. This sure is good news to a RV fans ears!

He should contact Alan Binenstock, who started the RVRRHS, and isn't really on it's feet yet. He can contact him at [email protected].
 #636914  by Sfd4

He has contacted them and offered them to have meeting there when complete
 #636957  by RS115

Who owns the building - if memory serves it's been out of railroad hands for decades.
Andy
 #636989  by Sfd4

The building is owned by a Springfield company. I think its Blanchard Co. They own the entire commercial development behind the staton. They and the township were allowed to build driveways over the Right o Way. Doubtful the rail will ever come back despite rumors
 #637494  by nyandw

Thank you Rich (RV History Buff) for the kind mention: http://www.trainsarefun.com/rvrr/rvrr.htm
Image Kenilworth 1973

BTW: Don's Book Image was the inspiration for my two LIRR books! Thanks again Don for always being helpful on the RVRR side of things; also, the diamond crossing mystery is solved at Roselle Park after 6+ years see the website!

Rich has been assisting me with information and history, and I am in the process of web site revamp, especially engine roster, history, and stations.

Best to all,
Steve Lynch
 #637566  by Don Maxton

Thanks, Steve. Good luck with the Web site revamp. I plan to incorporate a number of corrections in my book if and when Arcadia Publishing does a third printing.
 #637782  by RV History Buff

Hi,

Glad to see you on this Forum Steve, I hope you enjoyed all that Rahway Valley Locomtive information, it took a little while to type it all, but it was worth it :-D .

Don did you get all that information I sent you in your email? If anyone has any information, stories, or photos that they could share with me on the old RV please send it to [email protected].

Here is a little information on RV Accidents-

One day a passenger coach got loose from a train going up the grade to Summit, it went down the grade in nothing flat. It ended up smashing into an engine stopped at the Springfield Station, causing an engineer to lose a leg.

On another occasion, soon after the last accident, the whole passenger train got loose and passed the Springfield Station and zipped over Van Winkle's Creek and over the Rahway River and finally stopped at Katemiller Station (Liberty Ave). Passengers gripped the bottoms of their seats the whole way down.

After these two occasions, which both occured in about 1905, passengers were very afraid to travel on the RV.

Rich, RV History Buff
 #638322  by myfavscr

nyandw wrote:
the diamond crossing mystery is solved at Roselle Park after 6+ years see the website!

I went to http://www.historicaerials.com/Default.aspx and typed in W.Webster Ave.,Roselle Park.
The 1979 photo has the best image of the diamond and 1987 is the last image of the diamond intact.
In the 1966 photo I followed the RV into Kenilworth and was amazed at how much industry use to exist
in the area. What a shame it's all gone.
 #638605  by nyandw

myfavscr: Thank you very much for this link! It will allow further documentation of the crossing (which BTW: CNJ/LV folks claim never existed). Second, I already have used it to show the elimination of a coaling tower in my home town by a year in dispute via the site! :-)

Excellent!
Best,
Steve
 #644339  by RV History Buff