Railroad Forums 

• Official Mass Coastal Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#451420  by frrc

Doesn't leave much business left for the Bay Colony...

#451925  by BayColony1706

Bay Colony will pretty much be a thing of the past as of January 1st. With all of the Southeast MA lines going to Mass Coastal, that only leaves Millis. I really doubt what little service is left there justifies the cost of keeping an entire railroad open. While I am sad to see any shortline die off, BCLR had to go. They scared off alot of customers here on the Cape, and deferred maintenance on the tracks for far too long. I suppose I am going to have to change my screen name now, huh? :wink:

#451998  by MEC407

BayColony1706 wrote:They scared off alot of customers ... and deferred maintenance on the tracks for far too long ...
Gosh... what other railroad does that sound like? :wink:

#452056  by sery2831

Well Bay Colony still has an operation in Florida with a tourist/dinner train.

#452057  by BayColony1706

Hahaha. I think the Fays of Bay Colony went to "Tim Melon's School for Self-Destructive and Detrimental Railroading" . :P

#452059  by BayColony1706

The operation in Florida is their sister Company, Seminole Gulf Ry. I'd expect the BCLR locos to eventually make their way south in the near future.

#452068  by trainhq

It would seem to me that Bay Colony may as well sell their rolling stock to Cape Rail too. That would make a clean changeover of the whole operation.

#452106  by BayColony1706

Mass Coastal is buying brand new trash cars for their "Energy Train" (no longer called Trash Train). Also, they are bringing in 4 GP locomotives. BCLR is going to take their trash cars to Mid-City scrap, and they are going to be chopped up. As for the locos, I'd assume they will wind up in Florida to replace Seminole Gulf's aging ex-Chessie GP9's.

#452226  by jscola30

What could this mean for the ex-CCRR equipment still owned/stored? by BayColony?

#452243  by NHN503

MEC407 wrote:
BayColony1706 wrote:They scared off alot of customers ... and deferred maintenance on the tracks for far too long ...
Gosh... what other railroad does that sound like? :wink:
Umm ummm....Penn Central? No wait... :wink:

#452251  by BayColony1706

I am not sure what will become of the CCR equipment at SEMASS...
Don't know how road-worthy any of that stuff is after sitting idle for almost 10 years, subject to bums and vandals.