• Official Conway Scenic Railroad Thread (CSRR) -2009

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Otto Vondrak

daylight4449 wrote:well, the tracks do run at least a mile past fabians, and you could just use fabians as a tranfer point.
Only mileage collectors would ride.
  by greenearth

I live local and I like trains, but not the smoke. I love watching old steam movies but as an Environmentalist the smoke and Greenhouse gasses they emit bother me greatly. Has Conway Scenic considered the impact their equipment has on our air quality? Can locomotives be switched to utilize Bio-Fuel? What do they do with the by-products of the coal that is burned? I hope they dispose of them in a lawful manner.
  by Mikejf

I know a steam engine burns coal so every one automatically thinks it pollutes. The truth is, when the locomotive is running properly, most of the exhaust is steam. I think you would have to live on top of the boiler to have any ill effects or get poisoned from the smoke of a steamer. All the cars idiling in North Conway at traffic lights probably put out more pollutants than a steam engine. As for the burnt ash, I think the fertilizer you would buy at a store to put on your lawn is more harmful.
Mike
  by atsf sp

greenearth wrote:I live local and I like trains, but not the smoke. I love watching old steam movies but as an Environmentalist the smoke and Greenhouse gasses they emit bother me greatly. Has Conway Scenic considered the impact their equipment has on our air quality? Can locomotives be switched to utilize Bio-Fuel? What do they do with the by-products of the coal that is burned? I hope they dispose of them in a lawful manner.
The diesels are the engines that are more used for regular service. But to have a actual steam engine running under steam is beutiful to see. Yeah I like steam if you couldn't tell. It brings back a lost way of railroads. Its good to see the 7470 running good. Now lets rebuild the 501 and get that running.
  by CN9634

While steam locomotives may look very dramatic in there display and one would think that since its such a brilliant show that it would make a significant impact it in fact does not. In fact all the cars in use in the area combined create more emissions due to the small amount of use of the steam engine (And in the industry steam engines are hardly a factor anymore). Like I said it looks like its doing significant harm but in reality it is very insignificant compared to all the emissions produced by neighboring vehicles and businesses. The good thing about the rail industry as a whole is that they are economical. With the new Tier standards that railroads are using as well as 1 train taking up to 200 trucks off the road, the differences in emissions is huge. But I am glad you are keeping an eye out for good ole mother nature.
  by b&m 1566

GrizzlyFlatsFilms wrote:I couldn't make it to "Steam in the Snow" or the photo charter last weekend, but I did manage to attend Snow Train Weekend this past Saturday (my video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmZ4Ad9lGbw ). Are we safe to assume the Mass. Bay club will charter an excursion next winter as well? I really don't want to miss it again... :(

Didn't hear if they've picked a name for the new dining car yet. Any news?
If I remember correctly the MBRRE titled the event The 2nd Annual Steam in the Snow Excursion in their Callboy. Since steam locomotives are rarely (better yet never) seen in this part of the country during the winter, I think we'll keep seeing it.
Now this year they made it to Notchland, maybe next year they'll go to Crawford's.
  by GrizzlyFlatsFilms

greenearth wrote:I live local and I like trains, but not the smoke. I love watching old steam movies but as an Environmentalist the smoke and Greenhouse gasses they emit bother me greatly. Has Conway Scenic considered the impact their equipment has on our air quality? Can locomotives be switched to utilize Bio-Fuel? What do they do with the by-products of the coal that is burned? I hope they dispose of them in a lawful manner.
As others have said, Conway Scenic's steam locomotive #7470 is used on a fairly infrequent basis due to high operating costs, and thus any impact it might have on the environment is limited. Steam locomotive emissions are visually more impressive than those of diesels or automobiles, but keep in mind that a great deal of what you see is simply water vapor. Watch my video and you'll notice that most of the time 7470's exhaust is pure white in coloration. When the locomotive is being worked hard (increased speed, on a grade, etc), the fireman must provide more coal to meet the demand. This is critical to keep the train moving, so usually the fireman will overcompensate, resulting in wasted fuel and black exhaust (admittedly, this is sometimes done purely for the benefit of photographers). Though I can't provide the numbers to back me up, I recall seeing data from a Chinese study of locomotive emissions which found that while coal-burning steamers release specifically more carbon dioxide than do diesels, they emit less greenhouse gases overall.

Converting a steam locomotive to burn biodiesel is theoretically possible. However, such changes would severely impact the equipment's historical integrity. Fuel conversion is not as simple as throwing a bucket of Crisco into the firebox. I suggest you visit this website: http://www.martynbane.co.uk/modernsteam ... iesel.html to see an example of what I mean. Perhaps converting the CSRR fleet to emissions-free operation has some ethical and environmental advantages, but it definitely isn't worth the sacrifice of altering an extremely rare historic artifact's core mechanics. There are less than 200 steam locomotives operating in the United States today, and that number is decreasing yearly. Trust me; preserving the past on an occasional Saturday afternoon isn't going to make a dent in the ozone compared to, say, the millions of petroleum-burning cars populating our highways every day.

EDIT: Erm, sorry, that would be carbon dioxide. Carbon monoxide would be a real problem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_monoxide_poisoning). :wink:
Last edited by GrizzlyFlatsFilms on Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by BayColony1706

Maybe we should string catenary up from Conway all the way to the notch and run EMU's for the scenic trains. Hate to break it to ya, but a Mack truck pollutes way more than 7470 does.
  by Cowford

What do they do with the by-products of the coal that is burned? I hope they dispose of them in a lawful manner.
While the quantity of the ash produced every year is negligible, what IS produced is (or at least it was) used as ballast on the right-of-way. The use of cinder ballast was commonplace in the steam era... maybe the railroads should be considered as leaders in the recycling movement! :P
  by eman577

If you haven't yet, check out photos.nerail.org
Search by railroad for Conway Scenic.

Also check out railpictures.net
Query by state of NH
  by CSRR573

In the VRR thread someone asked if vandalism effects them. I was wondering if it effects CSRR. And I think anyone making fun of Ian, a guy who uses his personal time to make this forum a better place, really souldnt be here.
  by Mikejf

-27 in Fryeburg,Maine, just over the line. I had a more realistic temp of -23.6 in Waterford, Me. Now up to a whopping 16 above.
Mike