Railroad Forums 

• Oak Island based EL SD45....

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1350751  by BigDell

I saw the Facebook post that NS has repainted SD45-2 1700 into the original E-L scheme - it looked great. It's supposedly coming back to Oak Island:
"Norfolk Southern SD45-2 number 1700 poses outside the paint shop at DeButts Yard in Chattanooga, Tennessee, wearing its new, "old" paint scheme. The first of a thirteen unit order, 1700 was originally built as Erie Lackawanna number 3669, completed in October 1972, and has since worked as Conrail 6654 and NS 1700. Cab upgrades were recently completed at the NS East End Shop in Roanoke, Virginia, followed by paint in Chattanooga, returning it to its original colors. It will return to revenue service, joining the fleet of five additional 1700-series locomotives presently assigned to the Conrail Shared Assets region, based out of Oak Island, New Jersey."
Anyone know where these SD45's normally roam in NJ?
 #1350753  by chuxter26

They are based at Oak Island with occasional runs south to Browns yard....They are never used on former EL territory - which is now part of NS....
 #1350755  by BigDell

They are based at Oak Island with occasional runs south to Browns yard....They are never used on former EL territory - which is now part of NS....
Thank you Chuxter. I thought I'd seen photos posted of 1701 down there... That's great - I'll keep my eyes open for it.
Thanks
BigDell