Railroad Forums 

• NYW&B’s Car Maintenance Facility

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1226485  by chnhrr

Here are some pictures of the New York Westchester and Boston’s car maintenance facility in the Bronx, one (A) from the 1940’s and the other (B) during the operation of the railroad. It appears from older aerial photos that the building lasted into the 1990's. What function did it serve after the NYW&B ceased operation?
 #1226760  by pbass

Nice shot of the LO-V's.You may get a more fulfilling answer if you post this question on the MTA NY Subway site.I recall in the 1950's,spare gate cars in storage outside of the building and into the 1970's,materials of various purposes outside the building as well.It is safe to assume that no maintenance of gate cars were ever serviced in that building.Most likely,it would probably be used for storage of materials.Hope you find an answer to your question as I too was perplexed by it's purpose by the NYCTA.
 #1236860  by Tadman

Railroad shops are pretty easy to repurpose due to their layout. I've seen them turned into steel warehouses quite frequently. This is a great use because of the features of the building - plenty of overhead doors and cranes, as well as floor space without obstructions. They also usually have rail access.

I don't know what this building served as in later life but it wouldn't surprise me if it went industrial in nature.