Railroad Forums 

• NYSW (ex-NYC C430s)

• Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.
Discussion of products from the American Locomotive Company. A web site with current Alco 251 information can be found here: Fairbanks-Morse/Alco 251.

Moderator: Alcoman

#356321  by Luther Brefo

Would anyone happen to know what happened to NYSW 3008 (one of the five ex-New York Central C430s)?

3000 is now WNYP 430
3002 rolled and was scrapped
3004 rolled and was scrapped
3006 is now WNYP 433
3008 ???

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

#356420  by Alcoman

3008 was rebuilt around 1983-84 and went back into service. At some point after that, it threw 3 connecting rods thru the block. Rather than replace the block after spending approx $150,000 plus to rebuid the locomotive, it was parted out and the carbody(in good condition) was cut up for scrap.

BTW, the rebuilding included the following: New in-house rebuilt 16-251 engine, rebuilt turbo,new copper cable, rebuilt electrical cabinet, new traction motors, and rebuilt trucks. The shop also replaced the lube oil and cooling water. Then both the inside of the cab, the 251 engine,trucks(silver) and entire carbody repainted.

It was determined later that a wrist pin was not installed properly which caused the engine to self distruct.

Rather then repair this locomotive after spending so much time and money on it, the railroad scrapped it! What a waste!

I hope that helps.
In case you are wondering, I was working for NYSW in Little Ferry at the time.
Alcoman

#357008  by N. Todd

I recall reading about that, what a shame!

Intresting pic by Arnold Morscher of NYSW 3002, 4/05/92

#357241  by Luther Brefo

Thank you very much for the information. This completes that chapter of the ex NYC C-430s for me.

This leads me to my next question, if you do not mind entertaining a few more...

The LA&L has some "spare" C430 (Alco Hi-ad B trucks) down in Lakeville. Did they come from the 3008? Is there anyway to tell?

#360607  by FL9AC

the truck WAS painted silver, so it was probably from a Susy Q C430. I don't think there is any way to tell if it was off that particular unit though. Here's a shot I took of it when I was in school nearby two years ago:

#360945  by Luther Brefo

That's one of them.

The only other locomotives that could have had a truck with that design from General Steel Castings (Alco Hi-ad B truck) would have been the later LIRR C420s or some of the C415s.
 #361214  by NYC21295

Your forgot to add Monogahela Connecting 400, a T6, to your list of locomotive models that rode on the four axle Hi-Ad.

Stephen McMillan

#361794  by N. Todd

Well the trucks are still on the T-6...

#361914  by oibu

More likely from 3002 which wasn't cut up until the mid 90s or so, or perhps from 3004. Although, that's not to say that when 3008 was scrapped, they didn't set the trucks aside and have them languish around Utica, Little ferry, or whatever for 20 years.

I do find it funny, that M&E for years gave the "lack of replacement trucks" as the reason for keeping c430 16 out of service for so long (one of it's trucks had a crack in the frame), then LA&L buys it and shortly puts it back in service...

#361916  by traingeek8223

The truck is most likley from the 3002 as that was the last one cut up (1998).

#363859  by N. Todd

Yeah and nobody did anything about it...

#363906  by Luther Brefo

N. Todd wrote:Yeah and nobody did anything about it...
Unfortunately.

But we should at least be thankful that one quarter of the total production of the C-430 is in active or soon to be active service and I think one more the (GBW 3xx) is preserved somewhere. When and if the day comes for disposition of the WNYP 4, I am sure I'll do all I can to see them preserved.

#363913  by Luther Brefo

oibu wrote:I do find it funny, that M&E for years gave the "lack of replacement trucks" as the reason for keeping c430 16 out of service for so long (one of it's trucks had a crack in the frame), then LA&L buys it and shortly puts it back in service...
As for the replacement trucks, let's not forget that the C-430 initially came with the standard Alco B truck of the time (The Reading engines had them at the start. It is the same truck as those found on the C420, C424, and C425) so in theory, the trucks would be physically compatible and I do believe the C-430 still used GE752 traction motors as did the C420, 424, and 425. I know the C-430 was and AC to rectifier system (AC alternator to rectifier for DC and then to DC traction motors) to allow 3000 horsepower without the use of an oversize DC generator and as such it seems like it would work.

I suppose that is more of a question for those the work with them. Perhaps the CMO's of the railroads may have a better understanding of the feasibility of the above scenario.

#363988  by traingeek8223

Interesting side bar here. The NYC C430's were suposed to be built with AAR type B trucks, but as the story goes, the railroad didn't have any for trade in. That is why they were built with non standard( as NYC was considered) Hi-Ad trucks. The railroad did trade in several RS's and FB's on the order, but they were equipped with trucks containing Westinghouse traction motors( that had been swapped from retired Baldwins which had been traded to GE on U30B's). The trucks containig the Westinghouse equipment had a longer frame and thus could nat be used on the new Alcos.

#364191  by mp15ac

As I have read it regarding the two Reading C430's they came with AAR B trucks because Reading traded in two RS-3's on the order with the request that ALCO reuse the trucks.

Stuart