Railroad Forums 

• NYS Damage Reports from Irene 8/28/2011

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#965693  by charlie6017

First off, I hope everyone fared well from this event, and your families as well.

I thought I would start this thread to see how the railroads in New York State fared from Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene, particularly on the Eastern side of the State.

Here's hoping all the roads made out okay, particularly the Catskill Mountain RR, and Saratoga and North Creek, Batten Kill, and so on.

Charlie
 #965711  by JimBoylan

From http://tinyurl.com/3m867qr via http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/P ... sage/78743:
Metro-North

The Hudson line in Ossining is completely under water.

The Harlem line in Valhalla is also completely submerged.

Two electrical substations on the Harlem Line are out of service

The New Haven Yard has no power because of a fallen tree. Other fallen
trees along the line are interfering with signals.

The bridge over the Croton River where it empties into the Hudson River is
under water.

Road access to many Metro-North shops are blocked by trees.
 #965850  by hajelliott

Delaware & Ulster Tourist Line in Delaware County is in shambles.
The water washed out numerous sections all along the line north of Arkville.
From what I have heard it will be a while before the line is restored.

Al
 #965889  by Otto Vondrak

Just got off the phone with Harry Jameson of Catskill Mountain Railroad. Severe, catastrophic flood damage from Phoenicia east to Cold Brook and beyond. More details will be posted in the CMRR thread as they become available. The entire Catskill Mountain region, particularly Ulster County, suffered severe damage as a result of flooding.
 #965913  by thebigham

From Joe:

CP investigating running detours to Syracuse account a major washout in Central Bridge, NY
NYSW has agreed to handle detours...

CSX holds the cards as to whether or not this will happen...
 #965916  by tree68

No problems that I'm aware of on the Adirondack Scenic. Rain wasn't heavy, but was constant all day around Thendara. Sunday's trips went as scheduled, with a wary eye out for trees down on the tracks or other such issues.

Watertown got less than an inch of rain, AFAIK.
 #965961  by K4Pacific

Fonda has a washout and Mohawk Bridge possible damage under scrutiny on CSX. I don't think they can handle CP right now.
 #965977  by waldwickrailfan

detours? isnt the NYSW washed out near Butler, Charlottesburg Resevoir, and Oakland? i would think the NJT main line from CP-Hudson to Saddle Brook. that part of the line is now cleared. what a day that would be
 #966005  by dj_paige

Most recent statement from CSX, although its not very specific about exactly where the damage in NY is located.
http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/media/pres ... -recovery/
August 29, 3 p.m. -- Working as safely and rapidly as possible, CSX continues to recover from the impact of Hurricane Irene in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions. The company’s freight operations are moving steadily toward full recovery, and commuter train service in the Washington, D.C., and Boston areas was restored on Monday.

The company is continuing to work through power outages, localized flooding and debris on tracks, which is slowing some freight operations. Many signals and highway crossing warning devices are being powered temporarily by generators until commercial power can be restored. While flood waters are receding in many parts of the CSX network impacted by the storm, flooding in New York and New Jersey remains a significant obstacle. Crews and materials, including rock ballast, are on hand for necessary repairs as quickly as possible.

The company’s Curtis Bay export pier in Baltimore resumed operations on Sunday, while export piers served by CSX at Newport News are expected to resume operations today or tomorrow. Eastbound intermodal traffic was held temporarily in Chicago until receivers are able to take deliveries. At this time, no intermodal trains are operating out of Boston; Kearny, Little Ferry, and North Bergen, N.J.; Philadelphia; or Springfield, Mass. However, intermodal terminals serving those locations are open and will resume rail service as tracks are restored. TRANSFLO terminals in the affected area are also back in operation.
 #966014  by K4Pacific

Official from a CP dispatcher, "Bad news on the D&H front. The Schoharie River took out about 2000 Ft of main line in Central Bridge and the bridge footings may be compromised. Earliest estimate is about a week before we get track back. The north end looking much better but CPO1 on the Colonie main still under water."

That's all I have on the A&S Main.

Dont worry about detours SYR-Bing, due to CSX Fonda situation. Lords knows about Mohawk Bridge.