Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#571783  by Ballaz

Hi

I always liked the R32's and i think they are the symbol of NYC subway...I would like to know their power(KW or HP) and maximum speed if possible....i also would like to know what is your prefered NYC subway consist.
 #571969  by geoking66

Ballaz wrote:Hi

I always liked the R32's and i think they are the symbol of NYC subway...I would like to know their power(KW or HP) and maximum speed if possible....i also would like to know what is your prefered NYC subway consist.
I'd assume that their maximum speed is 65mph, but I'm not totally sure. I'm a fan of the R160; FIND is one of the best innovations in subway car design. Basically the R142+ are my favourites because of their aesthetic properties and useful features like digital boards displaying the time, terminus, next stop, etc. For some reason, probably due to the white and light blue colour, they make me feel cooler on hot days even with air conditioning.
 #572012  by fordhamkid7721

geoking66 wrote:

I'd assume that their maximum speed is 65mph, but I'm not totally sure. I'm a fan of the R160; FIND is one of the best innovations in subway car design. Basically the R142+ are my favourites because of their aesthetic properties and useful features like digital boards displaying the time, terminus, next stop, etc. For some reason, probably due to the white and light blue colour, they make me feel cooler on hot days even with air conditioning.
Max R32 speed is 65 mph
the FIND is a good idea but they way it was implemented doesn't really wow me at all, not such a good innovation when half of the time the FIND's either display the wrong information or "listen to train crew for announcement"or flashing a stop that was passed about 14 stops ago i.e. Q train at Kings Highway flashing Canal Street
just my 2 cents
 #572033  by arrow

geoking66 wrote:

I have to say I agree with you regarding the color of the new cars. There's just something about the white that does that to you! Or maybe it's just that the A/C works better on the newer cars sometimes :-)
 #586624  by R62ACAR2151

the R32s are one of my favorite subway cars i just like to hear the breaks every time they slow down comes to a screehing hult the brightliners which is the nickname remind me of the redbirds as how the r32s look similar to the WF R33 cars that came in 1964 from st.louis car the R32s that time had the tone aqua blue interior just like the r33s and r36 cars but were built by different rail car manufactures the r32s were built by the budd company in 1964 the same year when the world fairs cars were built correct me if im wrong but as how the similarity in the interior makes a difference the seats are plastic grey when they were under going car overhaul rebuilding by (MK)morrison kundson in the late 1980s when the r33s were also being remanufactured painted into red to get rid of the horror of gaffiti during the hopeless times but the redbirds lay to rest at the bottom of the ocean but now they are beginning to take some of the r32s out of revenune service because of the fast arrivals of the brand new R160 cars being tested out on the b division i seen a couple of the r32s being taking apart lining them up in the scrap line being ready to be put onto the barge along with the r40s and the r42s carried out into the ocean to rest with the redbirds who retired before theme i would miss the r32s if all of them are gone in the future espeacailly the railfan window at the front and the amazing ride over the jamaica bay bridges to the rockaways the breaks may suck and all of that but there my favorite subway cars i don't care how old they are there good riding cars even when the train operator speeds at 65 mph flying down the tracks.
 #586666  by jlr3266

For the love of the English Language man, punctuate! It is impossible to read your stream-of-thought posts. The period and comma are there on the bottom right side of the keyboard. Invite them along.
 #586966  by de402

it is indeed sad that the TA is choosing to reef the 32's instead of the 40's first. The 40's are in real bad shape with warping and rust. Besides being an icon. IMHO the 32 represents probably the best design features of any RT vehicle. Its fluted sides and modular construction plus good ole Budd engineering make it robust and highly vandal resistant. Can't say that it looks comfortable to operate with its narrow TO cabin and lack of operator creature comforts.

FIND is great until it gets packed with steel dust and shorts out, becomes useless. I do like the newer seating and color scheme of the 160... plus the end glass windows. Should of gone 5 car artic sets.. and eliminate the end-doors
 #588258  by Head-end View

I agree with everything good about the R-32, but the R-40 is an icon too, in its own way. They were the first new cars to run on the E and F lines, (starting in 1968) since those lines were built in the 1930's !! Up 'til then those lines had only ever seen the (by then) tired old R-1 thru 9's.The first time I ever saw a new R-40/Slant come flying into the Union Tpk. station on Queens Blvd. in the Spring of 1968, it was like stepping aboard a space ship; the difference between those shiny new Slants and the grimy old cars from the 1930's was so striking; I'll never forget it. So let's nobody knock the now tired, worn out R-40/Slants; they were like science fiction in their heyday. :-D

BTW, I too like the blue/white interior of the R-160's. They do have a comfortable ambience to them. Not unlike (chuckle!) the R-40/42's when they were new. They had an aqua colored interior, which (sadly) gave way to the dull gray and beige when those cars were rebuilt. I'll never understand why they didn't keep that nice aqua color or something similar.
 #676060  by railfan365

Definitely, I like the R32's also. I thnk that the original aqua interior had the same sense of cool as the present interiro of the new cars. IMHO, they were better in original condition with fans providing a steady sream of fresh air instead of A/C, and roll signs at the ends.
 #676199  by chuchubob

I'm partial to R32's, having lived most of my life in South Jersey, which is Budd country. Everybody my age has relatives and/or neighbors (I have both) who worked for Budd in Philly.
 #676375  by RailBus63

de402 wrote:it is indeed sad that the TA is choosing to reef the 32's instead of the 40's first. The 40's are in real bad shape with warping and rust.
As we've seen, things can change in a short time. The last few trains of R40 Slants are finishing up their runs on the A and will be gone within a few weeks, while several hundred R32's remain in service on the A, C, E, F and R.
 #676537  by Head-end View

Oh man..................We need to have a memorial service for the R-40. They've been my favorite NYC subway car since the first time I saw one in 1968. Geez, first the Mack CF, and now the R-40's. Any firefighters among us will know what a Mack CF is. :(
 #677964  by R36 Combine Coach

The R40 was designed by Raymond Loewy, also the designer of the PRR GG1, 1950s Studebakers and many other 20th century designs.
 #678360  by Fan Railer

max speed is not 65 MPH anymore after GOH, when the MTA removed field shunting from the DC traction equipment. Max attainable speed on level track is probably closer to 45-50 MPH.