Railroad Forums 

• NY Railroad Police - external identfying marks on cars

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#783274  by nydepot

I've never had to deal with railroad police but I saw one of their cars parked at Olive Garden in Henrietta on Sunday. It was blue with some striping, lights, "POLICE" and "Call 911" on it. License plate was NY "POLICE". The only way you knew it was railroad was because of an insignia that said railroad police along with some Latin "Superbia, Integritas, Opera".

What surprised me was that it didn't say what railroad. Nor did it have a car number on it. Even cop cars have numbers on them so you know it was "car 54" that pulled you over.

Are they all this generic?

Charles
 #783280  by Otto Vondrak

A very good question, Charles! I can think of several things:

1) Depending on the size of the force, the company may not be able to afford to supply an officer with a dedicated police vehicle with full markings. I remember encountering the GVT officer down in Pennsylvania, and if I recall correctly, he used his personal vehicle (red pickup truck), that had a light bar and a magnetic GVT logo applied to the door (and no, he wasn't after me. We were both following a special train over the DL!)...

2) A railroad police officer may provide coverage for several companies, so his vehicle may not explicitly identify a single company. He may be on duty for a few hours each day patrolling different properties.

3) I remember the old Conrail PD had a fleet of dedicated vehicles that were explicitly decorated for the agency. Now it seems the trend under Norfolk Southern and CSX is to use plain, unmarked white police vehicles (like a Crown Vic, Malibu, or an Expedition) with discreet light bars and equipment.

-otto-
 #783303  by nydepot

No idea they could work for multiple places. Interesting. Here is a photo, specifically of the logo, which was the only way of knowing it was railroad. I think all police in NY have "POLICE" for the license plate (right?):
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (82.3 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
 #783316  by 3rdrail

That's been an on-going trend among secondary police jurisdictions such as campus police, railroad police, etc. They know that historically, often times people that they encounter are ignorant of the law and believe (often to their own advantage- they think) that the officer does not have police authority because he is a campus, railroad officer, etc. This attitude leads to arguments or flat out refusal to obey lawful commands which elevate the confrontational level of the encounter. Usually, the officer does have the authority and knows it and is not going to have an individual tell him that he doesn't. In fact, on their respective jurisdiction (and often times property adjacent, used or owned by their organization), they have the same authority and police power as municipal or state police officers in most states. So, the thinking is to down-play the "railroad" or "campus" aspect to avoid these kinds of problems.
 #783328  by 3rdrail

nydepot wrote:No idea they could work for multiple places. Interesting. Here is a photo, specifically of the logo, which was the only way of knowing it was railroad. I think all police in NY have "POLICE" for the license plate (right?):
photo.jpg
Just to add on to my last post to elaborate regarding this gentleman's statement- New York is a rather unusual state as regards to who has police powers. I'm not from New York but I have worked with NYPD, both prior to WTC and during the WTC Search and Recovery Operation in 2001. It comes down to the fact that either NY State Law or NYC Ordinance recognizes other municipalitie's police agencies as having police authority within New York City. Even I as a Boston Police officer was recognized as a full-powered police officer, and although I was a member of the Joint Task Force as well, I had this dual authority. Bottom line is that my understanding is that any state certified RR police officer, particularly certified within the state of NY, would be recognized in NYC, and perhaps the entire state.
 #783644  by roadster

Any New York State Certified Police Officer has Police powers of arrest and authority throughout the entire State. State regulation require Officers carrying a weapon and acting under Authority, must notify the NYC Police Commissioner prior to entering City Limits. Being part of a task force your were granted Police powers in a time of emergency and at somepoint probably signed an Oath form. RR Police even have Federal Police powers across state lines. In most cases, even in their home terminal, RR Police will forward criminal cases to the local authorities to simplify the proceedings. I have seen CSX police operating marked and unmarked white SUV's. CSX Police will travel about the system as needed. Being in Henrietta, they could have been in town for a training session with local Police. I believe the Monroe Co. training Center is nearby? Throughout NY state different agency utilize different plates depending on the Agency. NYSP units display their Troop and unit number. My Sheriff's car displayed the agency initials and unit number. My last PD had "Police" plates.
 #783724  by 3rdrail

roadster wrote: RR Police even have Federal Police powers across state lines.
All true except that RR Police have State Powers across State Lines on their jurisdiction if their respective organization goes into that state. This includes Amtrak Police with one exception where the state will not allow them to be armed, so they have (rightfully so) refused to patrol there. I'm not sure what the state is.
 #783816  by JoeRailRoad

nydepot wrote:I've never had to deal with railroad police but I saw one of their cars parked at Olive Garden in Henrietta on Sunday. It was blue with some striping, lights, "POLICE" and "Call 911" on it. License plate was NY "POLICE". The only way you knew it was railroad was because of an insignia that said railroad police along with some Latin "Superbia, Integritas, Opera".

What surprised me was that it didn't say what railroad. Nor did it have a car number on it. Even cop cars have numbers on them so you know it was "car 54" that pulled you over.

Charles
I found this: "At Norfolk Southern Police Department, we strive to live by our motto: Superbia, Integritas, Opera, or Pride, Integrity and Service."
at this link http://www.policespecials.com/forum/lof ... 10208.html

Joe
 #784019  by Plate F

JoeRailRoad wrote:
nydepot wrote:I've never had to deal with railroad police but I saw one of their cars parked at Olive Garden in Henrietta on Sunday. It was blue with some striping, lights, "POLICE" and "Call 911" on it. License plate was NY "POLICE". The only way you knew it was railroad was because of an insignia that said railroad police along with some Latin "Superbia, Integritas, Opera".

Charles
I found this: "At Norfolk Southern Police Department, we strive to live by our motto: Superbia, Integritas, Opera, or Pride, Integrity and Service."
at this link http://www.policespecials.com/forum/lof ... 10208.html

Joe
NS is the only railroad I have seen with that exact logo, not to mention that that IS the NS Police scheme. See this picture.

#784135  by roadster

3rd rail, Yes, it's state powers, I was trying to make the point that RR Police can cross statelines along their companys property, where State and local Police juristictions end. Thanks for correcting that. Which is another reason RR Police tend to refer criminal cases to the Local Authorities. I believe CSX actual has their name within their emblem, but it's been awhile since I've seen a marked CSX unit. I usually see it around Buffalo.
 #784301  by nessman

My guess is these guys were either passing through or attending some kind of training locally. Roadster - the Monroe County Public Safety Training Facility is on Scottsville Road across the street from the Rochester airport (the PRR Rochester Branch used to pass right by their backyard).

My understanding is privately employed railroad police (i.e., CSX, NS, etc...) have very limited powers once they step off RR property but as stated previously, that power extends across state lines. The exception to that rule are police officers who work for the MTA (i.e., LIRR, M-N, etc...) as they're employed by a public authority and they can and do make traffic stops and arrests off RR property (usually when they stumble across something in their travels - not as part of their normal duties). However, make no doubt - these guys have the same qualifications and receive the same training as their municipal counterparts.
 #784319  by 3rdrail

Transit Police in Massachusetts (previously MBTA Police) have police powers in all the 178 cities and towns served by the MBTA within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (not just on MBTA property-but everywhere) and have more limited "Railway Police" powers out-of-state. Because of the out-of-state powers, it makes them one of, if not the single state/local police department with the most far reaching jurisdiction.
 #784502  by sd80mac

nydepot wrote:
photo.jpg
This may be 99% NS police car. NS cop in ford SUV with similar paint scheme in that photo, and that photo in Flick website approached to me and my buddy 2 years ago. Apparently NS logo is missing...
 #784698  by scharnhorst

Otto Vondrak wrote:A very good question, Charles! I can think of several things:

1) Depending on the size of the force, the company may not be able to afford to supply an officer with a dedicated police vehicle with full markings. I remember encountering the GVT officer down in Pennsylvania, and if I recall correctly, he used his personal vehicle (red pickup truck), that had a light bar and a magnetic GVT logo applied to the door (and no, he wasn't after me. We were both following a special train over the DL!)...

2) A railroad police officer may provide coverage for several companies, so his vehicle may not explicitly identify a single company. He may be on duty for a few hours each day patrolling different properties.

3) I remember the old Conrail PD had a fleet of dedicated vehicles that were explicitly decorated for the agency. Now it seems the trend under Norfolk Southern and CSX is to use plain, unmarked white police vehicles (like a Crown Vic, Malibu, or an Expedition) with discreet light bars and equipment.

-otto-

I have been hasseled by guys in unmarked Deep Navy Blue Expeditions who clamed to work for the railroad before in the Syracuse area. Most of these wise guys were often seen driveing along the right of way and were not wearing a uniform if they did not flash a badge I took there plate number and called the Onondaga County Shariffs department after I calling CSX. I always took photos of the car or truck they were driveing so that I had something to give to the cops.