Railroad Forums 

• Not selling the SD45s?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#291908  by U-Haul

Why is Canadian National not selling the SD45s? No opinions, just facts, how much longer would the SD45s last if properly cared for and not treated as oddballs?

STAR TREK 40TH ANNIVERSARY
SEPTEMBER 8TH 1966 - SEPTEMBER 8TH 2006
 #292210  by Bryanjones

U-Haul wrote:Why is Canadian National not selling the SD45s? No opinions, just facts, how much longer would the SD45s last if properly cared for and not treated as oddballs?

they are retiring the units as they suffer major failures. They are not just retiring them because they are SD45's, they are just running them til they drop. If maintained and repaired just like any other locomotive they could operate for many more years, same as any other locomotive.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
 #292254  by BlackDog

Bryanjones wrote:
U-Haul wrote:Why is Canadian National not selling the SD45s? No opinions, just facts, how much longer would the SD45s last if properly cared for and not treated as oddballs?

they are retiring the units as they suffer major failures. They are not just retiring them because they are SD45's, they are just running them til they drop. If maintained and repaired just like any other locomotive they could operate for many more years, same as any other locomotive.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY
The sad part is a major failure is something like running out of water or having to add governor oil.

Damn good units, just unloved by the current step-father.
 #292617  by 2spot

BlackDog wrote: The sad part is a major failure is something like running out of water or having to add governor oil.
Boy, nothing says CN better that retiring units for reasons that are that weak. Get your pictures of CNs' second gen. power while you can, people.

#292954  by lock4244

What is confusing to me is that the IC SD40-2's are getting upgrades to -3 standards, and the CN SD40-2W's are not. Why the IC's and not the CN's?

Don't forget about the first generation unit's... saw a GMD1/Slug/GP9RM set switching BIT on the weekend.

#292956  by jg greenwood

lock4244 wrote:What is confusing to me is that the IC SD40-2's are getting upgrades to -3 standards, and the CN SD40-2W's are not. Why the IC's and not the CN's?

Don't forget about the first generation unit's... saw a GMD1/Slug/GP9RM set switching BIT on the weekend.
It's long been said that the IC mechanical people run the railroad. True? I've mu'ed units right outside the door at Woodcrest. You can't get anymore....."independent" than that! This was in a foot of snow I might add.

#317589  by BlackDog

U-Haul wrote:I would like to restart this topic and haul it out of the dead line.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=163866
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos. ... ois,%20USA
How easy is it to repair the SD45s and get them running again? Why are the numbers and lettering coming off most of the units? Is it due to their deferred upkeep?
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=161070
Standard EMD with just 4 more cans, no more difficult than digging an SD40 up and ressurecting it. For what ever reason the bean counters are not deeming it economically viable.

#318918  by Bryanjones

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:CN has sold some of the SD45s, at least 6 of them. 3 went to the DMVW and at least 3, if not more went to NREX.
to be exact, in the most recent sale National Railway Equipment picked up 21 SD45's and DMVW 3 SD45's.
The name and numbers are fading on the units because its paint, common sense. Paint fades.
How easy an SD45 is to turn to service is no different than any other locomotive, it all depends on what is wrong with it.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#319289  by CN_Hogger

There were quite a few of the SD45's in Woodcrest with the Wisconsin Central blacked out and a spray-painted NREX on them, didn't have a chance to write any numbers down.

#347130  by nickleinonen

lock4244 wrote: Don't forget about the first generation unit's... saw a GMD1/Slug/GP9RM set switching BIT on the weekend.
that's bit's regular power.. they need that 14xx on the end of the yard set for air and to push up the grade.. that gmd1 dies and it can't pull/push a full cut of cars from down by hwy 407 towards hwy 7..

#353960  by BlackDog

I just saw the 7531 going south under power the other day on M340. It had been working out of Point the past couple of months. Is it the last 45 on the system?
 #353983  by amtrakhogger

In contrast to maintaining these units is fuel consumption. With the
high cost of fuel, I'm sure some bean counter is pointing the finger
at these units for retirement/sale.

#354005  by emd_SD_60

Why did CN get the sudden hard on the retire them ASAP, instead of simply retiring them as they suffered major failures, like before? Since there were so many still active, their goal to have them off the system right at the beginning of the year failed miserably i'd say! :-D