Railroad Forums 

• NJT Prepares to Scrap 40+ Comet III Cars

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1609243  by R36 Combine Coach

Must been a change between 1988 and 1990, as the Comet I rebuild in 1987, the Arrow I push-pull conversion
and the new Comet IIBs in 1988 had the fixed 3-2 bench seats before the reversible seating.
 #1609255  by Silverliner II

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:01 pm Must been a change between 1988 and 1990, as the Comet I rebuild in 1987, the Arrow I push-pull conversion
and the new Comet IIBs in 1988 had the fixed 3-2 bench seats before the reversible seating.
The original Comet II fleet had reversible orange/tan flip seating identical to the Arrow II's and the pre-rebuild III's. With the Comet IIB's and Comet I and 1B rebuilds getting fixed seating, flip seats made a return with the Comet III's, and then the IV's and V's. The Comet II and IIB fleets then got new flip seating when they were rebuilt into the IIM's.

The Comet III's were slated to be rebuilt to Comet IV standards as well (Comet IIIM?) until that money was diverted into getting more multilevels instead and just shipping the III's out to pasture.

Re:

#1609543  by GOLDEN-ARM

amtrakowitz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:28 pm There is no salt water in air. NaCl separates from water when it evaporates.
not true. having lived directly across the street from the ocean in florida, since 2002, i can tell you there is plenty of salt in the air. i can go outside in the morning and wipe the windshield with the edge of my hand, and get a line of salt. a brand new car begins to rust immediately, on any surface not painted, plated or protected. windblown saltwater doesn't have to occur from evaporation. mist from breaking waves is easily carried inshore, by an east wind.

Re:

#1609790  by amtrakowitz

That salt is in the water. Wind blows that water containing salt through the air, where the salt precipitates out of solution when it makes contact with solid surfaces. There is no crystalline salt in the air; it does not dissolve in air nor in water vapor.
 #1613128  by n01jd1

JohnFromJersey wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:30 am
amtrakowitz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:28 pm There is no salt water in air. NaCl separates from water when it evaporates.

This is a shameful and disgraceful move on NJT's part. Cleaning the cars could have easily saved them in working condition.
I disagree. Cleaning them after decades of pretty severe damage, especially electrical damage, would be pretty expensive to do for these ancient cars. However, it would've been better to try and sell them to another railroad for cheap, that would be willing to repair them + use them instead of completely scrapping them.
Ancient? Geez!! You're making me feel old!! I can remember clearly when the CometII's were brand new! For a number of years I lived in Garfield. I would parallel the Bergen County Line or Walk besides the tracks from Monroe Street to Garfield station where I either walked down the steps down to Passaic Ave or cross the tracks at Somerset Street and make my way to Marsellus Street to my school, Holy Name School. Back then most trains were sets of Comet I's and U34CH's
 #1613151  by Silverliner II

n01jd1 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:39 am I can remember clearly when the CometII's were brand new! For a number of years I lived in Garfield. I would parallel the Bergen County Line or Walk besides the tracks from Monroe Street to Garfield station where I either walked down the steps down to Passaic Ave or cross the tracks at Somerset Street and make my way to Marsellus Street to my school, Holy Name School. Back then most trains were sets of Comet I's and U34CH's
Speaking of brand new Comet III's: A set of them found their way to Amtrak's Penn Coach Yard in Philly while on their delivery trek to NJT. After seeing then sitting there for four days or so, after securing permission from proper authorities on site, I was allowed to head out into the yard to get these photos.
As all doors were closed, I did not get any interior shots.