• NJT locos on Amtrak

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by transit383

Is Amtrak's agreement with NJT only to operate ALP46s? If it was necessary, could NJT loan Amtrak an ALP44?

by nick11a

transit383 wrote:Is Amtrak's agreement with NJT only to operate ALP46s? If it was necessary, could NJT loan Amtrak an ALP44?
As I recall, Amtrak helped pay for five addition ALP46 for use on the clockers. With the retirement of the E60s and problems with the AEm7s, Amtrak needed more locos and assisted in purchasing the extra ALPs for clockers. NJT could loan a 44 or two to Amtrak if both parties agreed on it but you probably won't see that happening. The 46s superior horse power important for hauling and powering 10-12 metroliner coaches.

by TR-00

Amtrak didn't pay for any of the ALPS. The 46's were loaned with the idea of NJT obtaining more slots for arrival in NYP. Those 'extra' alps are part of the original order, and not additional units.

by nick11a

TR-00 wrote:Amtrak didn't pay for any of the ALPS. The 46's were loaned with the idea of NJT obtaining more slots for arrival in NYP. Those 'extra' alps are part of the original order, and not additional units.
OK, thanks for the clarification TR.

by nick11a

When I was at New Brunswick Friday, I was at the station at 2:17 when I saw something without headlights coming down the tracks. At first I though it was a freight train pushing the Conrail Caboose back to the yard but later realized it was an ALP46 pulling a three car regional train. This train is one of the few that stops at New Brunswick. Seems like the engineer forgot to put the lights on. So anyway, this 46 (4608 I think) was being used for a non-clocker train on Friday.

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:When I was at New Brunswick Friday, I was at the station at 2:17 when I saw something without headlights coming down the tracks. At first I though it was a freight train pushing the Conrail Caboose back to the yard but later realized it was an ALP46 pulling a three car regional train. This train is one of the few that stops at New Brunswick. Seems like the engineer forgot to put the lights on. So anyway, this 46 (4608 I think) was being used for a non-clocker train on Friday.

Nick,

The 3 car train you saw may have been the Keystone Service to Harrisburg. I recall that these trains would use 3 cars on most occassions!

Steve

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:
nick11a wrote:When I was at New Brunswick Friday, I was at the station at 2:17 when I saw something without headlights coming down the tracks. At first I though it was a freight train pushing the Conrail Caboose back to the yard but later realized it was an ALP46 pulling a three car regional train. This train is one of the few that stops at New Brunswick. Seems like the engineer forgot to put the lights on. So anyway, this 46 (4608 I think) was being used for a non-clocker train on Friday.

Nick,

The 3 car train you saw may have been the Keystone Service to Harrisburg. I recall that these trains would use 3 cars on most occassions!

Steve
Very well could be. In fact, most if not all Amtrak trains that stop at New Brunswick with the exception of the clocker service tend to be three cars.
  by jp1822

Nick - that's exactly what it was - a Keystone train. There was a Keystone train that departed NYP bound for Philly/Harrisburg between 4 and 5 p.m. that used an ALP46 a few months ago. I also remember a discussion on how the ALP46's were not maintaining the Keystone schedule (losing time).

I realize Amtrak's need for additional AEM7's, and applaud the effort for thinking outside of the box in borrowing some ALP46's, but I would like to see the clockers have a locomotive that could reach and maintain maximum speed on the NEC. The ALP46's are restricted to 100 mph right? Whereas, portions of the Clocker route allow for 125 mph operation. Could they re-tool (?) the ALP46's to achieve 125 mph operation? Seems that they are a mainstay so why not re-tool them and utilize at max level? NJT (and Amtrak for that matter) is getting too complacent on just adding extra time to the schedules. As usual, $$ is the problem.

by DutchRailnut

no use to retool , if you go 125 mph you need twice the power.
When NJT takes over the clockers all coaches in inventory plus new bi-levels are restricted to 100 mph.
yes the ALP-46 runs faster in Europe but the supply of power to european coaches is different and way lower in Kw so a way lower transformer load.

by jp1822

Good to know - thanks DutchRailnut!
  by AKelley728

Irish Chieftain had asked in a duplicate thread if this should be a sticky thread - my vote is yes, however, the thread subject might need to be changed slightly to "NJT ALP-46 running Amtrak Clocker" so new people know what this thread is about.

by theeagle2015

Granted there is no use to retool since NJ Transit will ultimately be running the clocker. From what I have read in the past, the current configuration of the ALP 46 could run at higher speeds if NJ Transit or Amtrak wanted. Would it just be a matter of changing the SES setting (when being ran with AMFLEET cars) and getting the locomotive certified to say run at 110 mph (at least that's the speed limit for tracks 1 & 4)? Furthermore, can this setting be changed back and forth (with relative ease) when the locomotive is being run by Amtrak and NJT?

by DutchRailnut

no the ALP-46 is geared for a max traction motor speed of 100 mph. but when going over the rated speed lots of things start happening at inverters and in the trucks.
despite AC traction motors not squirl cageing

by TR-00

Dutch, I don't know where you get your information, but the ALP-46 is presently capable of speeds above 100 MPH. In fact, during testing, special orders were given, and the '46 ran at 135 sucessfully for a stretch, and repeated this feat three more times.

The 100 MPH restriction has been placed by NJT due to the coaches, not the ALP. The only restriction from Amtrak is the 90 MPH for the Comet V's.

by AKelley728

TR-00 wrote:The only restriction from Amtrak is the 90 MPH for the Comet V's.
Speaking of which, any word on when Amtrak is going to allow 100 MPH for the Comet Vs? Last I heard it was just a matter of getting some paperwork filed.