Railroad Forums 

• NJ Transit Derailment in County Yard - Week of Sep 17, 2023

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1629447  by NortheastTrainMan

I captured this video of the aftermath -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_etfjd3GPE

Rather than rewrite it, I just copied my own description from my YouTube video:
As of Sep 16, 2023 NJ Transit's ALP-45DP No. 4506 derailed in County Yard, right next to the Jersey Avenue station. Be advised, this video is the aftermath , not the derailment in live action. I show it in a standard video, then slo-mo & finally some stills from my video.

I'm not sure exactly when the derailment happened, but I'm guessing it was during some time between Sep 11 & Sep 15. If you have more info, let me know. I'm just an enthusiast, I don't have any inside connections.

I initially noticed this on Sep 15, 2023 when I was riding Keystone 652, but it was so quick and it caught me off guard. My first impression was, "why is that ALP-45DP leaning like the Tower of Pisa? It looks a bit off."

The next day (Sep 16, 2023) I was riding Northeast Regional 162 and I had my camera ready as we approached Jersey Avenue to get a closer look and better angle. I assume 4506 was coupled to a consist which it was separated from after the derailment. It's also possible (albeit somewhat unlikely) that 4506 was moving light. I didn't capture it on video, but there was a Comet V cab car sitting by itself in County Yard. I wonder if that was part of a consist with 4506.
 #1629511  by pumpers

Near the rear of the locomotive it looks like wooden blocks maybe ? Part an (unsuccessful) re-railing process? I can imagine that poor track maintenance in County Rd was at least part to blame.

While on the subject, what is the suspected cause of the problem at NY Penn earlier in the week?
JS
 #1629532  by Ken W2KB

lensovet wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:31 pm Two derailments in one week?
Based upon the science of probability and statistics, this is not surprising. The probability of random events such as a derailment occurring evenly spaced in time is substantially lower than two or more occurring relatively close in time followed by a long interval before the next event.
 #1629704  by NortheastTrainMan

lensovet wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:31 pm Two derailments in one week?
I said the same thing! However, it's safe to say this one flew under the radar, since the one near NY Penn had a larger effect. I have yet to see news outlets report this, I only saw one person on Twitter mention it on Sep 14.

I guess we can say NJ Transit has NOT been investing in titling technology for their ALP-45 locomotives :P

(Lighthearted tongue in cheek joke, I don't think anyone was physically hurt here)
Last edited by NortheastTrainMan on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1629705  by NortheastTrainMan

pumpers wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:27 am Near the rear of the locomotive it looks like wooden blocks maybe ? Part an (unsuccessful) re-railing process? I can imagine that poor track maintenance in County Rd was at least part to blame.

While on the subject, what is the suspected cause of the problem at NY Penn earlier in the week?
JS
Believe it or not, this is the first derailed train I saw in person. I'm not sure what the rerailing & removing procedure is.
I imagine the ALP-45 was part of a consist and NJT separated the locomotive from it following the derailment. As for why the locomotive was still on the site at least one day later is odd to me. Perhaps because County Yard isn't the most utilized / busy section of track?

Also, to access the NEC and be transported to MMC, ideally the locomotive will have to be able to access Tracks 1 or 2 on the NEC (towed by another locomotive). They might want to make sure it can safely navigate COUNTY interlocking. I'm just speculating as an outsider, I'm not sure what the ideal procedure is.
 #1629942  by NortheastTrainMan

Update: 4506 has been removed from County Yard as of today Sep 24, 2023. Where to? Who knows?

All in all, I doubt NJT will publicly say anything on this. I wonder what actually caused this & if there was any significant damage.

I imagine railroads have minor hiccups or derailments like these that are kept internal. As not everything is headline newsworthy for the press. Given how quiet this was, I imagine no one was physically hurt, so it's a good thing that everyone is safe.

NJT might want to consult with the French regarding tilting abilities for their ALP-45DPs though :P