Railroad Forums 

• New York State Railroad Map!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#362900  by calorosome

It shows most abandoned lines - Kinona & Prattsburg, EC&N between Horseheads/Ithaca are just two that are not on the map.

Nice map nonetheless.
 #362946  by henry6

K&P is there, Cal, but D&E full length is missing as is the Ande's branch, lots of LIRR trackage, the LV (Southern Central) from Owego to Sayre, the Syracuse inset is missing a lot of track of WS and original NYC. NY&PA is missing, too. That's with just a cursory look.

#362993  by scottychaos

LV between Sayre & Owego is probably there..
but its so close to the Erie that the Red line for the current NS covers them both..

and that is an error with the red NS line sticking out of Sayre down the auburn division toward Barton...that shouldnt be red.

Scot

#363054  by dj_paige

I am surprised to see the rails at Kendaia (former Seneca Army Base) is still listed as "active". I guess I learned something!

#363056  by scottychaos

dj_paige wrote:I am surprised to see the rails at Kendaia (former Seneca Army Base) is still listed as "active". I guess I learned something!
yeah, I noiced that too..
I think thats another error..
I dont even know if any tracks exist going into the base anymore..
just the LV line *to* the base..
and I doubt there is much actual trackage left inside the base.

the map isnt 100% accurate! :wink:
but its fairly close..

Scot

#363067  by keeper1616

dj_paige wrote:I am surprised to see the rails at Kendaia (former Seneca Army Base) is still listed as "active". I guess I learned something!
Arn't they planning on putting an ethanol plant in? Doesn't FGLK store cars there? I may be wrong, but I thought I had read that sometime in the past...

#363074  by dj_paige

scottychaos wrote: I dont even know if any tracks exist going into the base anymore..
just the LV line *to* the base..
You can follow the tracks at local.live.com inside of Seneca Army Base. For example, here are some. Some of those tracks are still there and they seem to wind around as indicated on the map, but you can't tell what condition they are in (although they look kind of rusty to me)

#363103  by nessman

The tracks are still very much in place at the Seneca Army Depot - just not actively used now. Plans are underway for an ethanol plant near the old airfield - and from what I can tell, the tracks that served the warehouses on the east side of the base are still in place, as is the enginehouse.

#363131  by RussNelson

Indeed! This map sucks a lot less than most railroad maps of New York State, when it comes to abandoned / historial railroad lines. My database is even more comprehensive: http://russnelson.com/nyrr/

#363211  by TB Diamond

While on vacation back east this past fall, my wife and I went on a tour of the old Seneca Ordnance Depot. There were at least 100 rail cars stored on tracks within the depot plus many more at what was Ordnance Int. on the old LVRR.

#363819  by SST

I have an aerial photograph of the area. When I find it I'll post it. In the photo are rail cars parked on the line. I don't remember the quality of the photo but will check it out.

Interesting that this map shows the Sonwil Dr Industrial track along with the LV and WS row as they cross each other in Cheektowaga.

#366020  by 7 Train

The Staten Island Railway is notably missing, and the Port Jervis (Southern Tier) line is marked "NJT", not MNCR. Metro-North holds the rights the the ROW there.