Railroad Forums 

• New Widett Circle Rail Yard

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1612236  by CSRR573

Should be interesting to see. Also the T is losing the "front yard" whenever the new Acelas show up, and look for a total redesign of Southampton street yard in the coming years
 #1612276  by BandA

There is no way to store or service trains for the Framingham / Worcester line at Widett Cir. without crossing over the NEC. All the Boston & Albany passenger facilities were sold off or destroyed by the Turnpike Authority by the 1960s. So I think there is a crying need to keep the few storage tracks they have been allowed at Beacon Park. What they should do is create a loop track to access the Grand Junction from the east, and possibly even a "basement" storage yard using an electric shunting locomotive. Not sure what is going to happen with the Turnpike interchange and Harvard's interest being more important than the MBTA!!!
 #1612331  by bostontrainguy

Looks like there may be (or at least was) competition for the site:

Amazon Considering Opening a Distribution Center at Widett Circle
Able Company, LLC - the owner of the nearly 20-acre Widett Circle - are considering redevelopment of the site that will include an Amazon last-mile distribution center. Able Company purchased the site in June 2020 for $125,000,000.

Widett Circle is bound by Interstate 93, the South Boston Bypass Road and rail lines, and has been home to two dozen meat and seafood wholesalers for nearly 50 years. The City of Boston owns parcels adjacent to Widett Circle which, combined with the existing 20 acres, could sum to 50 acres of potential development. Any development at Widett Circle will require significant infrastructure investment and rezoning.
 #1612356  by CRail

A Globe article mentions the Amazon proposal and makes it sound like that plan is dead.
BandA wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:39 pm There is no way to store or service trains for the Framingham / Worcester line at Widett Cir. without crossing over the NEC.
What do you think they do now? I do agree that Widett does not cancel out the need to have equipment storage at Beacon Park, but So Sta to S&I logistics (which would not change) are not the reason why.
 #1612415  by BandA

I'd like to see Worcester Line service just roll in & out of South Station using mostly tracks 1 & 2, saving 5 minutes waiting to approach South Station. Could even put short turn BOS-BBY-Landsdowne-(Boston Landing?) trains on the schedule.
 #1612435  by Tallguy

This is a waste. Under the flattened scheduling now implemented, there are only 15 midday layovers, 5 on OC. This facility was needed in 2018, not in 2023 and not in 2030 by the time they get it built. Total waste of money by an agency that can least afford it.
 #1612441  by Red Wing

For once the T is futureproofing the system. A new service facility really makes sense, especially one that can be converted to work on electrics or EMU/DMU's. Also having your only major repair facility on the Northside it makes sense for 1 on the Southside, going out to Ayer to Worcester and back to Boston really doesn't make sense if the Grand Junction is out.
 #1612444  by Commuterrail1050

Don’t forget Worcester or framingham trains can just as well go over to tracks 5-13 as 1-4. Not saying that happens all of the time but it does sometimes, depending on the dispatching and where the train sets head to next after they arrive to south station as it is very dynamic and sets swap all of the time, even with planned specific set assignments. Lots of delays and issues can cause anything to happen.
 #1612500  by CRail

The "flattened" schedule is artificial and based on political rhetoric rather than actual ridership patterns. Unless the T is to intentionally force the system to fail, which it may very well do, it will return to a schedule which adequately serves its demands and the peak model will resume.
 #1612537  by Tallguy

It is by no means "artificial". Anecdotal evidence (and there has been no data released to refute it) seems to point to a significantly increased midday ridership and that traditional 9-5 has not rebounded, especially on Mon and Friday.
I will be interested in seeing the data the new NS gates will generate.
 #1612540  by CRail

There has been no data because there isn't any to support it. There are fewer peak travelers because there are fewer peak trains, and service reliability has been in the tank. Highway traffic patterns, which are easily verifiable, do not support this notion of even volumes.
 #1612552  by Tallguy

So I guess than your opinion is no more valid than mine. Of course, I am not advocating for the expenditure of 250 M taxpayer dollars on opinion unsupported by data.
CSRR573 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:28 am Should be interesting to see. Also the T is losing the "front yard" whenever the new Acelas show up, and look for a total redesign of Southampton street yard in the coming years
How are 700 ft Acela consists fitting in the Front Yard?