Railroad Forums 

• new signals on Manayunk/Norristown line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1227773  by kiha40

There are quite a few new signals and equipment cabinets being installed on the Manayunk/Norristown line. When will these be activated, and how will this improve service?
 #1227781  by kiha40

There's a section north of Ivy Ridge that seems to have a low speed limit, I guess that's not going to change? Particularly on weekends, outbounds seem to get later and later as they get near the end of the line, I was hoping something could remedy that.
 #1227783  by amtrakhogger

kiha40 wrote:There's a section north of Ivy Ridge that seems to have a low speed limit, I guess that's not going to change? Particularly on weekends, outbounds seem to get later and later as they get near the end of the line, I was hoping something could remedy that.

IIRC, Ivy Ridge Station sits smack in the middle of a sharp curve with a 30mph restriction. Unless you straighten out that curve, the speed limit won't change.
 #1227800  by Head-end View

Will they be replacing the traditional Pennsy position-light signals with the "minimalist" signaling that now exists on the West Trenton Line and will both tracks now be reverse signaled?
 #1227826  by Franklin Gowen

I'm unaware of any ex-PRR position-light block signals on this emphatically ex-Reading branch. Perhaps you're thinking instead of the former PRR line to Manayunk via Cynwyd?
 #1227829  by kiha40

amtrakhogger wrote:IIRC, Ivy Ridge Station sits smack in the middle of a sharp curve with a 30mph restriction. Unless you straighten out that curve, the speed limit won't change.
There's a curve (around a hill I guess) north of it, the station itself isn't on a sharp turn, at least this is how it looks on maps. Spring Mill fits this description a bit better. Regardless, they seem to have trouble keeping the schedule on weekends, I was wondering if this would improve that situation at all.
 #1227861  by Clearfield

IIRC, the ex-Reading Norristown branch had very long blocks designed for heavy freight traffic.

Shortening the blocks to better reflect current travel might speed things up under some circumstances.
 #1228132  by swsrailguy

with the exception of a handful of new-ish highway crossings, the entire line is being retired & rebuilt. All waysides will be removed, and all existing interlockings (Ford, Kalb, Bridge, Elm) are being reconfigured and rebuilt. Also, a new interlocking, River, has already been put in service at Miquon. The line will be 261/562/CSS with color-light signals at the interlockings.
 #1228203  by Franklin Gowen

scotty269 wrote:http://www.septa.org/alert/man-nor-shuttle-details.html
Very informative link; thanks. I couldn't help but notice this item near the bottom:
SEPTA project description wrote:The continuation of the replacement if the 80-plus year old overhead contact system. In the next year we will be replacing another 12 miles of overhead wire.
That stuff went live during F.D.R.'s first term! I don't know whether to be impressed or dismayed that so much of the original electrification wiring is only now being replaced. Thank goodness we finally had some $$$ for this job. Lack of cash is why the RDG itself never replaced that same infrastructure before its own final bankruptcy in 1971.

Clearfield wrote:IIRC, the ex-Reading Norristown branch had very long blocks designed for heavy freight traffic.
With respect, that sounds much more like the Main Line on the south bank of the river. It was truly the Reading Company's anthracite aorta. From east of Abrams Yard and NORRIS interlocking all the way to Belmont Falls, even more so -- unlike the rest of the Main Line, on this segment there was no competition from those pesky passenger trains.

Therein hangs a tale...

The ex-PG&N Norristown Branch on the north bank of the Schuylkill River was almost a pure passenger route for most of the 20th Century. Its existing, now-endangered block signals were installed concurrently with that branch's electrification; both went into full service in February, 1933.

The connecting rail bridge across the river between Norristown and a point just west of Bridgeport was finished in September, 1903. This achievement is what allowed upstate freight and passenger traffic to be efficiently separated onto opposite banks of the river.

It seems unlikely to me that changes in operating patterns made just after the turn of the century would have had any bearing upon establishment of new signalling blocks during the Great Depression. :wink:

Head-end View wrote:Franklin, you're right. It is the Ex-Reading Branch with triangular color-light signals. I must have got my cab-ride videos mixed up. Thanks!
No problem! Hey, we're all in this together.

swsrailguy wrote:All waysides will be removed, and all existing interlockings (Ford, Kalb, Bridge, Elm) are being reconfigured and rebuilt.
No! :( Ah well, entropy waits for no man. The current signals are so charmingly photogenic to me; everyone interested had better take photos while they can.
swsrailguy wrote:Also, a new interlocking, River, has already been put in service at Miquon. The line will be 261/562/CSS with color-light signals at the interlockings.
Thank you for the very interesting update. While I mourn the loss of any meaningful examples of original Reading Company hardware, if it means higher average train speeds and better reliability for the riding public, I'll applaud that.
 #1228227  by Head-end View

So they'll be putting in those same boring flashing-green-over-red signals like on most of the West Trenton Line? At least the LIRR uses full multiple-aspect signals, even when it's only at interlockings.
 #1228307  by amtrakhogger

Head-end View wrote:So they'll be putting in those same boring flashing-green-over-red signals like on most of the West Trenton Line? At least the LIRR uses full multiple-aspect signals, even when it's only at interlockings.
I think Septa is doing it the right way with 562 (ala Metro North,) just having "go-no go" signals.
 #1228494  by Head-end View

Well, I seem to remember a few years back when those go-no-go signals were put in on the West Trenton Line, the engineers were very annoyed with how little info those signals gave them compared to standard-aspect signals. Also, New York's MTA wanted to duplicate those Metro-North signals at LIRR interlockings and there was a serious protest by LIRR's people, and LIRR continues to put in full-aspect signals, though only at interlockings in some cab-signal territory.