Railroad Forums 

• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1421247  by bigfreight

NHCR 7324 wound up parked behind GO GO GAS for the night on Wednesday night. It was snowing so hard that I never saw the engine there until Thursday AM. Shortly after 800AM they made way down to Hazen and returned north deadheading late Thursday afternoon. They used the engine to plow the tracks. On Sunday we went up to Groveton and NHCR 7324 was sitting just south of the crossing on US RTE3 at A & B Logging with a covered hopper for Presby. I believe they might of had some sort of mechanical issue. At noon they were at Page Hill RD headed south. They paused briefly to let one of the repair guys out and headed south towards Hazen. Took a couple of shots.
 #1421341  by b&m 1566

Did Presby, briefly change transload locations a few years back? I vaguely remember reading or hearing something about it.
 #1424273  by Fritz

Cory,
bigfreight probably knows more than I, but I did pass through North Stratford, Groveton, and Lancaster today, and there was nothing moving at any of those locations.

On the North Stratford line, it looked like something had moved between the Shops and North Stratford on Wednesday, but there were few cars online: 2 BNSF covered hoppers, 2 boxcars, and the flanger.

On the Groveton line, the crossings had been cleared by tractor, but nothing had moved on the line since it snowed earlier this week. SLR 20, a flat car loaded with stick rail, was set out on the lead to the NHCR connection. Not sure what that rail is for.

All in all, things were quiet.
Best,
Fritz
Last edited by Fritz on Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1424278  by ewjx

The Railroad is not shut down for the winter Rymes receives cars weekly also storage and SIT cas move in and out thru out year, May thru January seeing the most volume. We store cars out on the Whitefield Secondary and service Presby twice a month

EWJ
 #1424323  by Fritz

Ed,
I am sorry that I made it sound like the NHCR was shut down for the winter. That is clearly not the case (the facts that something had run down to Stratford since Tuesday and that the crossings had been cleared made that evident). It just looked like things were shut down for the winter. I am glad to hear that traffic is still moving to Ryme's and Pressby and also in and out of SIT. I wish the repair business was what it used to be. Out of curiosity, why the two BNSF covered hoppers at Shops? Thanks for setting the record straight.
Best,
Fritz
 #1424458  by Dick H

Photo of GMTX #329 on Eastbound PAR EDPO by Jon Landry on 3/17,
Comment below the photo "reported to be headed to the NH Central.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... otoindex=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Built as EMD MP15AC 12/75 as MILW 484
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=431969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1424491  by Dick H

NHCR has leased a unit from the SLR in the past, although their own loco might
have been down for repairs. This LLPX 2607 was used in the historic transformer
move on 6/19/09. Thanks to Fred Hessler for the photo.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=0&key2=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The NHCR once had this GP9 1732, which they sold at some point and replaced it
with the current 7324, Thanks to Thomas Siliker for the 8/9/07 photo
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ex=0&key2=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe the 7324 has been sold and the #329 is the replacement. Last year, the NHCR leased the MEC heritage unit #52
to move tank cars to Whitefield tor storage. Perhaps, more activity is coming on that line and the NHCR would rather
be able to have a loco assigned there, than have the SLR move the 7324 back and forth between N. Stratford and Groveton.
Thanks to Mr. Jeffries for his update on the previous subject.