• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by bigfreight

I do not believe they have had the GMTX engine on site since after the transformer move.
  by bigfreight

NHCR plowed the tracks and crossings today. Went thru Groveton earlier this evening no engine at the mill yet but there were boxcars and covered hoppers there on the sidings.
  by NHV 669

was riding back south from Colebrook this morning for work, and was surprised to see 7324 just shy of the Stratford station with 22 tank cars in tow. no signs of activity on the rails south of groveton, so they didn't come from storage at Hazens. Any ideas on the move?
  by RRFAN

I see the tracks been plowed at Hazen but no train yet. It's been about 3 weeks.
  by NHV 669

there were a few cars in the rack by the repair facility, but like i said, the tracks definitely havent been touched south of groveton for sometime (at least since they were plowed before the last few storms), so north is the only place they could of come from. I didn't think they had that kind of space next to the building, being that there were still tanks at the racks
  by RRFAN

Also do you guys know about how the railroad crossing on route 115B fell over.
  by RRFAN

In 2013 I saw NHC with a truck to put down rocks and they also put ties down next it the tracks and mowed in whitefeild NH. Also past jiffy mart theres Railcars down the tracks and NH DOT were in a rail truck parked in a parking lot and they were looking at them. I also checked them out a while back and them boxcars door were open and now I went back and they are shut with locks. Could be this spring if they want to go down and get them.
  by NHV 669

i would almost have to agree, I rode past them this afternoon coming back from Lancaster. I don't think those cars have ever been as visible as they are right now. It might have something to do with the town wanting to turn the tracks into a rail trail from there to the Bethlehem town line
  by RRFAN

I herd the snowmobile club wanted to turn it into a rail trail but i think it,s a waste of time because the rail trail in littleton NH when i go on it i only see one 3 wheeler. when i go thought Whitefield NH in the winter i never see snowmobile's on the rails and doesn't the mt. division want to go on the tracks to gillman VT.
  by RRFAN

RRFAN wrote:I herd the snowmobile club wanted to turn it into a rail trail but i think it,s a waste of time because the rail trail in littleton NH when i go on it i only see one 3 wheeler. when i go thought Whitefield NH in the winter i never see snowmobile's on the rails and doesn't the mt. division want to go on the tracks to gillman VT.
I don't mined if they use the track for a rail trail going to Bethlehem because there's no businesses for them that way but the tracks to gilman VT and further can get to Vermont railroad and travel that way and get more businesses for them. but all we can do is wait and see what happens.
  by NHV 669

RRFAN wrote:I herd the snowmobile club wanted to turn it into a rail trail but i think it,s a waste of time because the rail trail in littleton NH when i go on it i only see one 3 wheeler. when i go thought Whitefield NH in the winter i never see snowmobile's on the rails and doesn't the mt. division want to go on the tracks to gillman VT.
I remember seeing a link on one of these threads a while back for the Whitefield Selectmen's Meeting minutes, and one of the discussions was ripping up the tracks from Jiffy to the town line for such a purpose; passing through last night to see the SLR, i noticed that the crossing signals are gone at Jiffy, and on the eastbound side of the tracks at 116. Couple this with the added visibility of those old cars on the siding, and I think it's an imminent reality.

I would have to disagree on the amount of use, as I work across the river from the trail, and see all kinds of sleds running up and down it. You won't see them west of Whitefield, because those tracks are overgrown once you leave the Rt. 3/116 intersection by the old railyard, and all the way through to St. J
  by RRFAN

NHV 669 wrote:
I remember seeing a link on one of these threads a while back for the Whitefield Selectmen's Meeting minutes, and one of the discussions was ripping up the tracks from Jiffy to the town line for such a purpose; passing through last night to see the SLR, i noticed that the crossing signals are gone at Jiffy, and on the eastbound side of the tracks at 116. Couple this with the added visibility of those old cars on the siding, and I think it's an imminent reality.

I would have to disagree on the amount of use, as I work across the river from the trail, and see all kinds of sleds running up and down it. You won't see them west of Whitefield, because those tracks are overgrown once you leave the Rt. 3/116 intersection by the old railyard, and all the way through to St. J

When they were upgrading jiffy mart they put a new sign and they had to get rid of the crossing the other to got it by trucks and the one before dunkin donut was tooken down by NHC. But why don't they have the trail begain by the parking lot by were the track spit to Littleton and gilman.