• New Hampshire Central Railroad (NHCR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by rjones2

I was in Whitefield and the surrounding area over the holiday weekend. Spotted in Hazens was an empty covered hopper car- there are still cars stored in Whitefield and Lancaster. Drove up thru Groveton to North Stratford, following the St. Lawrence and Atlantic main line, and saw a string of tank cars with engine 7324 on the siding shut down. Swung by the shops and noticed a stainless steel passenger car- couldn't see the lettering on it. Does anyone have information on that passenger car?
  by Fritz

Hello,
On my way to Canaan yesterday, I found the NHCR GP9 7324 just starting to leave the yard by the NHCR shops around 0930. They headed south with one covered hopper to the junction with the SLR at North Stratford. After a quick break at the cafe there, they coupled to a string of 18 tank cars on the SLR siding and then headed back north with nine of the tank cars at 1030. Here's a few photos of the northbound move:

First, passing through the village of North Stratford:

http://fritz.rrpicturearchives.net/show ... id=3582563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then coming out of the woods north of town (and near the former station of Lovejoy):

http://fritz.rrpicturearchives.net/show ... id=3582560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Slightly farther along the Connecticut River (and U.S. route 3):

http://fritz.rrpicturearchives.net/show ... id=3582573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finally, heading back into the woods before reaching headquarters:

http://fritz.rrpicturearchives.net/show ... id=3582594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At this point, I headed north to work, but I am guessing that they probably returned south to pick up the remaining nine cars. I think the only thing brighter than the sun yesterday was the 7324!

Have a great day,
Fritz
  by bigfreight

NHCR 7324 came south thru Lancaster at 745AM this morning with 1 covered hopper for Presby in Hazen and 15 double door hi cube boxcars. The boxcars had IATR markings on them. Anybody know anything about those cars? Also great shots Fritz!
  by bigfreight

NHCR7324 returned north deadheading thru Lancaster towards Groveton at 1145AM
  by bigfreight

NHCR 7324 came north around 1000am thru Lancaster and returned south 16 double door high cube boxcars with IATR markings. One of them looked almost brand new had no graffiti on it at all. They must of made a second trip down yesterday when I was out. I would assume they brought more of that same type of IATR boxcars down. 7324 did not come back north and must down at Hazen.
  by bigfreight

NHCR 7324 came north thru town deadheading at around 900AM yesterday returned southbound at 145PM today with 19 double door boxcars with IATR markings.
  by bigfreight

BigFreight,
Are those IATR boxcars being stored out by Hazens?
There are some on the sidings behind GOGO Gas in Lancaster. The rest must be in Hazen. 7324 came thru headed north at 1130AM with 2 empty hoppers from Presby.
  by bigfreight

Ran into the owner of the NHCR today in the pickup truck today doing an inspection. They will probably run Thursday this week and have about 20 cars to bring south from Groveton to Hazen. They will not be shutting down this winter and plan on running to Presby all winter long.
  by rjones2

Interesting news! Did he give any reason why they will run through the winter?
  by bigfreight

7324 came thru Lancaster headed north with 1 empty from Presby at 500PM . Missed the southbound run. It must of happened late Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning when I was gone. There some kind of a public hearing coming up in Whitefield about the tracks south of town going towards Littleton. The snowmobile and ATV club want to make the line a rail-trail and have said the NHCR has not lived up to the contract to maintain the line and that the line is better suited for a rail-trail than storage of railcars.
  by b&m 1566

I would be curious to know what NHCR's stance is on this? Is there a clause in the contract that requires the leasing railroad to maintain the ROW regardless if it's used or not? Is there future business potential in or around the Littleton area that would keep NHCR from giving up the lease for that section? Whatever happened to the potential scenic railroad between Littleton and Whitefield that was floated about a few years ago?